Safe and clean streets

We want to make sure all residents of North Lincolnshire live on safe and clean streets. We can help with a range of issues you may have.

What we can help with

Our housing service is dedicated to improving the standard of accommodation in North Lincolnshire by making homes decent, safe and comfortable to live in. This includes homes that are owner occupied, as well as private rented.

Urgent housing problems?

If you have an urgent housing problem such as no heating or hot water, please call us on 01724 297000.

Threatened with homelessness?

It is important that you contact us as soon as possible if you think you may become homeless. The Housing Advice Team operate drop-in sessions at Church Square House, Scunthorpe every Monday and Thursday. For more information on how the Housing Advice Team can help you, please visit the Homelessness page or email housingadvice@northlincs.gov.uk.

If you rent from a private landlord and need more information about benefits, please visit our private landlord benefits page.

If you rent from a housing association and need more information about benefits, please visit our housing association benefits page.

For further information and advice, please email housingadvice@northlincs.gov.uk.

All households in North Lincolnshire are entitled to:

  • Burgundy recycling bin (for plastics and cardboard)
  • Brown recycling bin (for garden waste)
  • Green recycling box (for glass and cans)
  • Blue recycling box (for paper)
  • General waste bin (for all non-recyclable waste)

The size of these containers depends on how many people live in your household. For more information or to request one of these bins or boxes, please visit our bins, boxes and bags page.

All rubbish must be placed in the bins and boxes provided by us. It is against the law to leave rubbish in the streets and alleyways. If your rubbish is found in the street you will receive a fine. See our fixed penalty notices for details of fines. If you don’t accept this fine you may have to go to court. You may get a bigger fine if you go to court. If you have excess waste left over after your collection day, it can be taken to one of our Household Recycling Centres.

For more information about collection days for your address, please visit our bin collection dates page.

To find the nearest recycling centre to you, please visit our Household Recycling Centres page.

We want all residents of North Lincolnshire to feel safe in their homes.

If you feel threatened or your safety is immediately at risk, always call 999.

We can help with minor adaptations to your property or safety measures to ensure you feel safe at home. Perhaps you are concerned about burglaries, or need measures installed to help you at home? Please visit our Handyman Scheme page for more information.

We want residents to live in neighbourhoods free of nuisance. Nuisance can include loud music, barking dogs, pests or back gardens full of waste.

If noise from your neighbours is affecting your enjoyment or your property, there are various options available to us. For help with noisy neighbours, please visit our Noise Control page.

If you are concerned about the state of your neighbour’s garden or how they deal with their waste, please email environmental.health@northlincs.gov.uk with more information.

However, it is the responsibility of land owners to have litter and waste removed and lawfully disposed of from their land. Please contact Customer Services to find how our waste management services can help.


01724 297000

Anyone found to litter can be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice or will be prosecuted. See our fixed penalty notices page for details of fines.

What is graffiti?

Graffiti is written words, tags and ‘art’, often in spray paint, which are usually put up on walls, buildings and street furniture without the consent of the owners or occupiers.

Graffiti is an illegal activity, which may cause offense. It generally appeals to a minority audience to the detriment of most people and the amenity of the area.

What is fly-posting?

Fly-posting is when posters are put up without the consent of the owner of the structure or surface where they are placed.

Fly-posting is an illegal activity, which may cause offence. It is generally aimed at a minority target audience to the detriment of most people, the amenity of the area and to the commercial gain of individuals.

What happens once graffiti or fly-posting has been reported?

We ask that anyone complaining about fly-posting or graffiti submits a photograph at the time of making the complaint. Complaints can be emailed to us at highway.maintenance@northlincs.gov.uk.

Once we have received a complaint about graffiti or fly-posting, the issue will be sent to our Highway Maintenance department. Staff in this team will deal with the complaint in the first instance.

If the graffiti or fly-posting is on Council-owned property or a public highway, it will be removed by our Highway Maintenance department.

Graffiti and fly-posting on privately owned buildings:

If the graffiti or fly-posting is on privately owned buildings/walls/land, our Highway Maintenance department will make an initial visit to the site. This will involve speaking to the property owner to give advice and also advise on legal action which can be taken by the Council. If the graffiti of fly-tipping is not removed by the property owner following this visit, the issue will be reported to our Environmental Health & Housing Team.

Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) can be issued to those responsible for graffiti or fly-posting under Section 43 and 44 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003. Owners/leaseholders/managing agents who did not carry out the defacement cannot be served with a FPN in these circumstances. The issue will therefore be dealt with by Community Protection Warnings (CPWs) and Community Protection Notices (CPNs) under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014. Before serving a CPW or CPN, Environmental Health & Housing must be satisfied that there is a detrimental impact upon the community which is persistent/continuing and consider whether or not the conduct is unreasonable. CPWs and CPNs can apply to individuals, businesses or organisations.

See our fixed penalty notices page for details of fines

If you need to pay a Fixed Penalty Notice, go to the Fixed Penalty Notice page.