Swimming is an important life skill and our SwimLincs learn to swim programme will ensure children become confident and safe in the water.
Our lessons run for 50 weeks a year, with each lesson lasting 30 minutes, or which at least 25 minutes will be water-based activities. The SwimLincs learn to swim programme is available at:
- Ancholme Leisure Centre
- Axholme North Leisure Centre
- Baysgarth Leisure Centre
- Riddings Pool
- The Pods
The SwimLincs programme is divided in to nine stages:
- Adult and baby – four months to 17 months (STA starfish awards 1 to 3)
- Adult and tots – 18 months to three years (STA starfish awards 4 to 6)
- Pre-school lessons – three to four year olds (STAnley awards 1 to 4)
- Non-swimmer – four years plus (Seahorse awards 1 to 2)
- Beginner – four years plus (Seahorse awards 3 to 4)
- Improver – (Dolphin awards 1 to 2)
- Intermediate – (Dolphin awards 3 to 4)
- Advanced – (Dolphin award 5)
- Development classes – Rookie lifeguard and Challenge awards
Children are continually assessed throughout their lessons. You can view your child’s progress online using our SwimLincs Home Portal. To access this service we require your email address. To register you will need your child’s SwimLincs card number. If you don’t have a card number please contact the customer service desk at the centre where your child swims.
Enrolling on a SwimLincs learn to swim programme (accordion)
Children can be placed on the SwimLincs Minis waiting list from birth, the pre-school waiting list from the age of two and a half, and the SwimLincs after school programme from the age of four years.
To enrol your child on lessons please complete an online application form (LINK) On receiving the application form, your child’s name will be added to the waiting list and you will be contacted by the centre when a place becomes available. Places will be offered a maximum of three times before your child’s details are removed from the waiting list.
SwimLincs payment options (accordion)
We offer two payment options:
Monthly payment via direct debit – £20 (first child)
- One SwimLincs lesson per week for 50 weeks of the year
- Automatic re-enrolment (terms and conditions apply)
- Price for life (terms and conditions apply)
- The card holder is entitled to use any of the council’s pools free during casual swim sessions
- Sibling discount available
Casual pay as you go member
- One SwimLincs lesson per week for 10 weeks
Top-up payments for the next 10 weeks must be received before the start of the last lesson to secure your child’s place. Failure to top-up during this time will result in your child automatically losing their place in the lessons.
SwimLincs code of conduct (accordion)
Our aim is to provide the best ‘learn to swim’ experience for your child and for you as the ones bringing them to the pool. To help us achieve this aim we would be grateful if you would adhere to the following code of conduct.
Swimmers are asked to:
- Arrive in good time for the lesson
- When changed, wait quietly in the designated area no more than five minutes before the start of your lesson for the swimming teacher to collect you
- Wear suitable swimwear and tie long hair back
- Visit the toilet before the start of your lesson
- Shower before you enter the pool water
- Remove all jewellery
- Inform the swimming teacher of any illness or injuries before the start of the lesson
- Only enter the pool when told to by your swimming teacher
- Not eat or drink fizzy or sugary drinks up to one hour before the start of your lesson
- Listen to your swimming teacher and ask if you do not understand their instructions
- Always try your best and enjoy your lesson
Parents and guardians are asked to:
- Make sure your child arrives in good time for the start of their lesson and is collected promptly after the lesson
- Remain in the building at all times if your child is under the age of eight
- Not to wait or walk on to poolside
- Use lockers provided and not leave personal belongings in the changing cubicles
- Not approach the swimming teacher during lessons. If you have a question about your child’s progress please complete a ‘Question and Answer’ form or you can view their progress by accessing our Swimlincs Home Portal
- View your child’s lesson in the designated spectator area and not on poolside or the changing rooms.
- Not to bring your child if they feel ill or have been ill in the last 48 hours with diarrhoea, a sickness bug, a contagious disease (for example measles or chicken pox), an ear infection, open wounds, coughs or colds. It is advisable that they do not swim until fully recovered and symptom free
- Ensure that your child does not eat or drink at least one hour before their lesson.
- Be consistent with attending lessons
- Ensure that fees are paid in advance of the start of the lessons
- Respect our swimming teachers and share any concerns or complaints with the Health and Fitness Development Manager or Duty Manager immediately.
We thank you for your assistance and co-operation.
First lesson guide (accordion)
Please report to the customer service desk 20 minutes before the start of your child’s first lesson. This will allow us time to set-up your payment plan, answer any questions you may have regarding the lessons, explain who your child’s swimming teacher is and direct you to the changing rooms and waiting area.
Buoyancy aids will be provided for the duration of the lesson if needed and goggles are available to purchase from the customer service desk before the start of your child’s lesson.
The swimming teacher will take a register at the start of each lesson and collect your child from the designated waiting area.
Progress, updates and teaching criteria information (accordion)
Our swimming lessons run back to back so unfortunately there is no time for you to talk to your child’s swimming teacher during lesson time. If you have a question or would like to discuss your child’s progress we would ask that you complete a ‘Question and Answer’ form. The forms are available next to the Swimlincs notice board in the centre. Your child’s teacher will contact you as soon as possible regarding your question.
Swimlincs Home Portal
For those parents or guardians who have registered for this free service, you will be able to view your child’s progress online using our Swimlincs Home Portal. To access this service we require an email address from you. To register you will need your child’s Swimlincs card number. If you do not have a card number please contact the customer service desk at the centre where your child swims.
Our parent handbook provides detailed information on our Swimlincs learn to swim programme. It includes the class levels and swim criteria needed to achieve that level, swimming teacher qualifications, child protection policy, payment and refund policy complaints procedures and more.
Swimming lessons for adults (accordion)
Swimming lessons for adults: info, back to swimming etc. Add info.