Support and advice for the Armed Forces community
There are a wide range of services specifically designed for the Armed Forces community available from the Ministry of Defence, public sector and voluntary and community sector organisations.
Ministry of Defence
Responsible for the UK armed forces.
- British Army welfare and support
- Royal Navy community support
- Royal Airforce community support
- Reserve Forces and Cadets Association (RFCA) in Yorkshire and the Humber: an independent, community-based organisation with the responsibility of advising and assisting the Defence Council on issues concerning the 3,000 reservists and more than 8,500 cadets in the region.
Armed Forces charities
A wide range of charities provide support and care for the Armed Forces community.
- Royal British Legion: shoulder to shoulder with all who serve
- SSAFA: lifelong support for our Forces and their families
- Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity: giving a better quality of life for serving and former naval personnel
- Veterans UK: bringing together services for veterans
- Confederation of Service Charities: provides a single point of contact for interaction with Government, including local government and the Devolved Administrations; with the Royal Household; with the Private Sector; and with other members of the Armed Forces Community.
- Charity Choice: more ways to give. This website provides information on over 160,000 registered charities, including all charities registered in England and Wales. Browse the website for a list of Armed and Ex-Services Charities
- Help for Heroes: practical, direct support for our wounded
- Army Benevolent Fund – ABF The Soldiers’ Charity: lifetime support to serving and retired soldiers and their families
- BLESMA: a national charity that directly supports Service men and women who have lost limbs and the use of limbs or the loss of eyesight
- Blind Veterans UK: life beyond sight loss
- RBLI: Royal British Legion Industries provide treatment, training and support to the Armed Forces community
- RAFA: the charity that supports the RAF family
- Project Nova: supporting veterans who have been arrested or are at risk of arrest. Operating in four areas of the UK. The East of England, North West, North East and South Yorkshire and Humberside.
Health and wellbeing
Information on healthcare support and services.
- North Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group: For information on local health services including access to GPs and dentists
- NHS: The online ‘front door’ to the NHS. It is the country’s biggest health website and gives all the information you need to make choices about your health
- NHS 111 service: NHS 111 is a service to make it easier for you to access local NHS healthcare services in England. You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
- NHS Armed Forces Healthcare: Healthcare information for military personnel and veterans, including getting treatment and contacts. Covers Hospital Care; Rehabilitation; Mental Health Services and Veterans
- Samaritans: A confidential emotional support service
- Big White Wall: A safe online community of people who are anxious, down or not coping who support and help each other by sharing what’s troubling them, guided by trained professionals.
- Blind Veterans UK: National charity dedicated to supporting blind and vision-impaired ex-Service men and women, no matter when they served or how they lost their sight.
- Combat Stress: If you’re a veteran worried about your mental health, Combat Stress can help.
- Veterans Outreach Service: The Veterans’ Mental Health Transition, Intervention and Liaison Service (TILS) is a service to support veterans and their families.
Financial support for the Armed Forces
Links to organisations that can provide financial advice and support.
Members of the armed forces, ex-service personnel and their families can face unique housing challenges. The information below aims to help you consider the alternative housing options that are available for you to find good quality, affordable housing that meets your individual needs.
Support from North Lincolnshire Council
We offer advice about a range of housing options and services, these include:
Other housing links
- Joint Service Housing Advice Office (GOV.UK): A guide to civilian housing schemes, temporary and transit accommodation and homelessness.
- Housing and local services (GOV.UK): Information on applying for council and housing association housing and benefits.
- Forces Help to Buy (GOV.UK): A scheme to help armed forces personnel get on the property ladder.
- Shelter: Advice on housing, where to live and homelessness.
- The Royal British Legion provide short and long term care for serving and ex-Service people and their dependants in Royal British Legion Care Homes around the country.
- SSAFA offers advice and assistance to anyone eligible for their help, whether they are serving or ex-service, or a family member of someone with a service connection. The SSAFA also provide housing and residential home facilities.
- Housing options for people leaving the Armed Forces, veterans and their families (Citizens Advice Bureau): Information for people who are about to leave the armed forces, veterans and dependents, on finding accommodation. Covers sources of help and care homes for veterans and disabled ex-service personnel.
- Buying a home (Money Advice Service): Work out your overall buying and moving costs, first time buyer advice, and tips and tools to help you work out what you can afford.
- Renting and Letting (Money Advice Service): Advice to help you work out how much rent you can afford, and how to budget and share costs when renting
Children, families and education
Support services for armed forces personnel and their families.
Education, skills and employment
Links to organisations in the area that can help your job search, careers advice or support in becoming self-employed:
- Job Centre Plus: The Department for Work and Pensions working-age support service.
- Latest Jobs with North Lincolnshire Council.
- Career Transition Partnership: Ministry of Defence working with Right Management. Service leavers of all ranks from the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force and Royal Marines can all benefit from resettlement support, career transition advice and training opportunities.
- Remploy Veterans: Armed Forces & Veterans Services – provider of employment services for disabled people
- North Lincolnshire Adult Education Service: browse North Lincolnshire Council’s Adult Education brochure.
- Open University: find out what courses the OU offer, financial support for studying and working at the Open University
- Troops to Teachers: the Troops to Teachers programme is about recruiting the very best former service personnel (service leavers) into teaching.
- Help with training and qualifications for people leaving the Armed Forces and veterans (CAB): information for veterans and people about to leave the armed forces, on training for new qualifications and skills to help them find employment.
- National Careers Service: provides careers advice and information on a wide range of jobs, training course resources and funding.
- RFEA: provide life-long, life-changing support, jobs and training opportunities to service leavers and veterans irrespective of circumstances, rank, length of service, or reason for leaving.