We're working on improving this information – your feedback will help us to improve it.

You must get permission from the Council for a new dropped kerb on an existing footpath to make sure this is constructed in the right way. Dropped kerbs are usually used to allow:

  • A vehicle to cross the pavement into a driveway
  • Pedestrians to cross the road more easily

You can apply for a dropped kerb for existing properties or new developments.

Warning If you don’t own your property you will need permission from your landlord, you will also need get planning permission if the dropped kerb is on an A, B or C classification road. Construction of the dropped kerb must be done by an New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) approved contractor and must adhere to the conditions of the licence

Some properties deeds may also limit what changes can be made, it is the homeowner’s responsibility to check.

New developments or properties

Please contact the Highways Development Services Team if your application concerns a new property or development. By phone on 01724 297000. By email on customerservice@northlincs.gov.uk.

Before you start

You’ll need to provide:

  • The location of the proposed dropped kerb
  • Why you think the new dropped kerb is needed
  • Your contact details so we can get in touch.

You can apply online, using our dedicated form, or you can contact us by phone, on 01724 297000.

What happens next

We will send a qualified inspector to assess the proposed site to consider its suitability. Our criteria includes:

  • The make up of, and space on the property to park a vehicle
  • How a vehicle may enter and exit the property
  • How close a dropped kerb is to a junction, utilities or street objects

The Council will decide on the placement of a dropped kerb, and may also specify conditions to be met in construction.