Planning permission, applications and appeals

Comment on planning applications, how to apply for planning permission, permitted development, pre-application advice, appeals and other related information.

Search and comment on planning applications

By using our online search facility you agree to our terms and conditions.

Copyright notice

Planning application information submitted to North Lincolnshire Council is protected by the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (Section 47). You may only use material which is downloaded and/or printed for consultation purposes, to compare current applications with previous schemes and to check whether developments have been completed in accordance with approved plans.

Further copies must not be made without prior permission of the copyright owner.
Caution: Printed copies and uncontrolled electronic copies of any documents may not be the latest version.

Associated Documentation is currently not available for Applications for Advertisements;
Lawful Development Certificates, Adjoining Authority Consultations and Tree Preservation


Please note while we make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the data. The planning
information contained within the site is incomplete. It must not be used for carrying out a formal “local land charges search”. It also cannot be relied upon to constitute a full planning history for a site.

No responsibility will be taken for any errors or omissions in planning information obtained. No liability is accepted for loss or damage arising from use of planning information obtained from this site. Whether foreseeable or otherwise. Similarly, the information contained does not constitute in any way a formal notification of a planning decision. And as such any actions taken as a result of information displayed on the site are undertaken entirely at the user’s own risk.

The maps in this website are provided by North Lincolnshire Council, under license from Ordnance Survey in order to fulfil its public function of making available council held information. Unauthorised reproduction infringes Crown copyright and may lead to prosecution or civil proceedings.

It is important to be aware that there are time limits within which to submit your comments. All important dates are available to view on the council’s website against the relevant planning application.

Important information about making comments:

  • objections or supporting comments on applications must be rational, impersonal and directed principally to the planning issues raised by the proposal
  • comments of a personal, slanderous, libellous, defamatory, or otherwise offensive or abusive nature will not be tolerated and we reserve the right to remove and return any inappropriate comments
  • comments or representations have not been checked for accuracy and are the views only of the author or authors

The planning process has to be transparent and open, therefore anonymous comments will not be considered.

You may make comments on planning applications online, by email or by post. Due to the volume of comments submitted it is not possible to acknowledge receipt of comments or to engage in correspondence.

In order for your comments or objections to be accepted, and for us to be able to send you further correspondence relating to the application, you must include:

  • your name
  • your contact address
  • your email address (to notify you of any amendments to the application)
  • reference number of the application
  • your comments and/or objections

By sending your comments you confirm that you agree to this and that you accept legal responsibility for your comments.

The Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 requires that any written correspondence must be made available for public inspection. It is not therefore possible to treat your comments in confidence and any correspondence, including names and addresses (but not signatures or email addresses), will be open to the press and public and will be made available on request.  In the event of an appeal relating to an application, your comments may also appear on the Planning Portal website.

Planning applications near you:

Search for your address here to see planning applications near you:

If you are planning to extend or carry out work to your home, before you start you should check whether or not planning permission is required.

Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. This is known as ‘permitted development’.

The Planning Portal is a national initiative to give advice on planning matters, including permitted development. You can use the Planning Portal to get advice, complete forms, upload plans and other supporting information and pay any required fee as well as to find out more about changes to permitted development rights.

Apartments, maisonettes and flats do not have the same permitted development rights as houses, the planning portal also has details about this.  If you are unsure of the permitted development rights of your home, please complete a Permitted Development Enquiry Form [PDF, 127Kb]. We will let you know in writing whether or not you need planning permission.

It is your responsibility to seek planning permission. If required, planning permission and building regulation approval should be granted before work begins.

If you build something without getting planning permission when you should, you may be forced to put things right later. You may even have to remove an unauthorised building.

Biodiversity net gain (BNG) is a way of creating and improving natural habitats. BNG requires developers to ensure habitats are enhanced and that development has a measurably positive impact on biodiversity compared to what was there before development.

In England, achieving 10% BNG has become mandatory under Schedule 7A of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as inserted by Schedule 14 of the Environment Act 2021).

From 12 February 2024 developers will be required to deliver a 10% BNG for major development. Major development includes residential developments with 10 or more dwellings, or where the site area is greater than 0.5 hectares.

From 2 April 2024 developers will be required to deliver 10% BNG for small sites.

Small site development includes:

  •  Residential development where the number of dwellings is between 1 and 9, or if unknown the site area is less than 0.5 hectares.
  • Commercial development where floor space created is less than 1,000 square metres or the total site area is less than 1 hectare.

Developments will be obligated to meet their BNG requirements, unless have a specific exception such as householder developments. Further information is available about exceptions to BNG requirements.

A Statutory Biodiversity Metric Tool Calculation will be required as part of the planning application validation process. This should be completed by a competent person, normally an ecologist.

Further useful information and resource are listed below:

Where planning permission is required, we recommend that you obtain advice from us before submitting your application. This enables you find out whether the council is likely to support your proposal, before you commit to any further expense.

By seeking advice it facilitates the opportunity to work with us to reduce any likelihood for the need to change your proposal once a formal application has been submitted and avoid a delay in receiving a decision.

We can provide general advice about the planning process by e mail. Beyond this (in order to obtain site specific advice) you must first pay a fee [PDF, 122Kb].

Once the correct payment has been received together with a completed pre-application form [PDF, 106Kb] and supporting documentation, we will provide a comprehensive and timely pre-application response. As explained below, there are four levels of service according to the type of development planned.

For any additional meetings required, over and above those outlined below, an additional fee will be charged.

Please contact us on 01724 297000 for details of what the service includes for:

  • Householder development
  • Minor and other development
  • Small scale major development
  • Large scale major development

Whilst the council will not publicise details of pre-application requests on its website, it cannot guarantee that all information will remain confidential. For example, under the provisions of the freedom of information act and/or the environmental information regulations, third parties can ask to see pre-application documentation, and the council has to decide whether information is exempt from disclosure. If you consider any information is particularly sensitive and should remain confidential you must confirm in writing to us that the information provided is commercially sensitive.

You can apply for planning permission in one of two ways – online or by completing a paper submission.

Submitting your planning application online through the national Planning Portal is the preferred and recommended method of submission. The application, and all supplied information, will then be passed to us to consider.

If you prefer to complete a paper submission, paper forms can be accessed from the Planning Portal website.

Our Interim Local Validation List [PDF, 159Kb] informs both applicants and agents what supporting information will be required in order to make a planning application valid.

The level of information needs to be proportionate to the size and type of application and the local list requires only information that is necessary to the consideration of the application in accordance with paragraph 193 of the NPPF and the guidance contained within the Planning Practice Guidance.

For information about fees and charges the Planning Portal website offers an online fee calculator, you can also download a full fees list.

If you want to be certain that the existing use of a building is lawful for planning purposes or that your proposal does not require planning permission you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate.

This is not the same as planning permission but it is proof that your household building work is lawful, it is a legally binding document and would be of use to you if you sell the property.

You can apply to your local council for a Lawful Development Certificate using the Planning Portal’s secure online application service. You will have to pay a fee.

It is a criminal offence to carry out works to a listed building without consent – even if you did not know the building was listed. It is important to consult the Development Management team before starting any work.

You will need the council’s consent to demolish a listed building. Alterations or extensions that affect the character of a building also require consent. Unauthorised work could break the law, and may be a criminal offence. The need for listed building consent is different from planning permission but the process is very similar.

All internal and external works which affect the character of the building requires listed building consent. Other works requiring consent include:

  • re-roofing
  • new doors and windows
  • re-pointing (where the character of the building is affected)
  • most stone cleaning
  • removal of chimneys
  • removal of fireplaces and internal features

For listed building consent, you must submit an application to the council but this is free of charge.

To find out if a building is listed, consult the council’s Historic Environment Record.

Advice and information can also be found on the Historic England or Institute of Historic Building Conservation websites.

View lists of planning applications received, decided, withdrawn and amended by North Lincolnshire Council.

The consultation period for the applications received list is 21 days. This starts from the valid date.

The simplest way to submit a Planning Appeal is online via the Appeal a Planning Decision page on Gov.uk. Only the person (or company) that made the planning application can appeal.

There is usually no fee for making an appeal, but some types of enforcement notices appeal need a fee. The only costs you may incur will be if you have used an agent, consultant or solicitor to prepare your case.

The Appeal a Planning Decision page on Gov.uk can also be used to search for an appeal or provide further details about the appeal process.

The planning duty officer service

The planning duty officer can assist you with information and advice on national and local planning policy. They can also give informal advice on the need to apply for planning permission.

The duty planning service provides general planning advice. The planning duty officer service does not provide pre-application advice for specific projects. Please see the ‘Planning permission and permitted development’ and ‘Pre-application advice’ sections above for guidance regarding these matters.

What you can ask the planning duty officer about

The planning duty officer can assist you with simple questions about the following types of enquiry:

  • General advice on planning considerations and permitted development rights
  • How to apply for pre-application advice and what this service involves
  • How to apply for planning permission and general advice can be given on requirements for validating planning applications
  • Advice on pre-application and planning application fees

The Planning Duty Officer cannot:

  • Provide an opinion on whether planning permission would or would not be granted
  • Discuss the detail of current applications or appeals, discuss the technical merits of applications, refusals or appeals
  • Agree to any minor amendments to planning permissions
  • Discuss enforcement
  • Deal with the discharge of any planning conditions on a decision notice.

Please note: You will not receive any written or verbal decisions. The verbal advice given by the planning duty officer is given on an informal basis and is intended to assist with general, basic planning enquiries.

The advice given by the planning duty officer should not be seen as representing the council’s formal position and is not a substitute for using our pre-application service.

You can call the duty officer through the customer contact centre 01724 297000 on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Please note that the duty officer is not available on Tuesdays or after 3pm on Fridays. Due to the high volume of calls we are experiencing at present we recommend you contact the Duty Officer via planningdutyofficer@northlincs.gov.uk  The Duty Officer will then provide you with a response in due course.