Freedom of Information

What is it?

The Freedom of Information Act came into force in January 2005. It provides individuals and organisations with the right to request access to our recorded information. The aim is to make us more open and accountable.  It covers all recorded information held at the time of the request, regardless of how old it is. For more details please see our Access to Information Policy [PDF, 739Kb].

What information can I ask for?

You can request access to any general information held by the council.


What information is not covered?

Environmental information and requests for personal information are not covered under the Freedom of Information Act. Please see our Environmental Information Regulation pages for details of how to request environmental information and our Subject Access Request pages for details of how to request personal information.

How do I request information and will there be a charge?

Your request must be in writing.

Please check our online publication scheme using the ‘View Our Publication Scheme’ button below before making your Freedom of Information Request as many popular requests are already included.


If you would still like to make a Freedom of Information request please click on the below ‘Make an FOI Request’ button.


More details can be found in our Freedom of Information Request Guidance Notes [PDF, 26Kb] and our Information Charging Policy [PDF, 600Kb] along with any charges that could apply.

if you didn’t find what you need then you can complete your Freedom of Information Request online.

Can I re-use the information?

Please see our Access to Information Policy [PDF, 739Kb] for more information about the re-use of information.

If you require assistance to make your request:

If you need assistance in making your request in writing please call our Customer Contact Centre on 01724 297000.

What to do if you are not happy

We aim to comply with the Freedom of Information Act by responding promptly and correctly.  However, if you have an issue or would like to make a complaint, please see our Information Complaints page.