School Admission Appeals

If your child did not get into the school you wanted, you can appeal to an independent panel.

Making an appeal

If you have not been offered a place at the school you have requested, you can make a school admission appeal against the decision. Parents wishing to appeal will be sent information on how to appeal. This includes a form on which to give ‘notice of appeal’. You should set out the reasons for your appeal on this form and return it to the council by the date requested.

Appeals are heard by panels which are independent of the council, schools and governing bodies. The panel follows the School Admission Appeals Code which is drawn up by the Department for Education, with advice from the Local Government Ombudsman.

The procedure is a ‘two stage’ process:

  • In the first stage, the school has to convince the appeal panel of the reasons for the refusal of a place.
  • Where the panel determines that prejudice would occur if a further admission was allowed, then the second stage is when the parent makes their case.

The panel can then exercise its discretion in balancing the circumstances presented by the parent against the prejudice that would be caused by the admission of further pupils. The decision of the appeal panel is binding on the school and on the parent.

You can read more on our frequently asked questions page.

Appeal decisions

The clerk of the appeal panel will write to you and inform you of the decision. The appeal panel will not consider second appeals for the same school in the same year unless there has been a significant change in circumstances since the original application was submitted.

Schools outside North Lincolnshire

Appeals against refusal of admission to any school that falls outside North Lincolnshire are the responsibility of that council, or the governors of the school if they are the admission authority. Further information can be obtained by contacting the relevant council.

Special schools and children with an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

The appeals process for children with an EHCP is different from that outlined above. If we have not named your first choice of school in the EHCP, you should initially discuss your concerns with the Special Educational Needs (SEN) team at the council, or you can contact the Special Educational Needs and Disability, Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS).

If you are still not happy, you can appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal. Information on how to appeal is available from the SEN team.

Advice for parents and guardians

Further information on school admission appeals is available in the advice for parents and guardians on Gov.UK.