Paying your Council Tax

Ways to pay your Council Tax bill, support if you’re on a low income, what to do about an unpaid bill, Council Tax e-billing and how to contact the North Lincolnshire Council Tax team.

Please note:

Your Council Tax bill may not show your Council Tax Support – but once your benefit has been processed you will receive another bill with the deduction showing.

If you are experiencing difficulties in meeting your payments, there is help and support available to you from the Council Tax team, please call 0300 3030164 (option 5).

Payment options including paying by direct debit are listed below and if you need support to pay your Council Tax or Housing Benefit, please go to the Council Tax and Housing Benefit support page.

Instalments can be spread over 10 or 12 months. If you pay monthly there are four payment dates possible depending on your payment method.
• Monthly payments are made on either the 1st or 15th of the month
• Direct debit payments can be made on the 1st, 8th, 15th or 22nd of the month
New payments are usually set up for the 1st of the month. To change this please contact the Council Tax team.

Direct Debit – the quickest and easiest way to pay your Council Tax

Direct Debit is usually the easiest way to pay and you are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee. Direct Debit ensures regular payments are made on your choice of 1st, 8th, 15th or 22nd day of the month.

You can print out and complete a Direct Debit instruction [PDF, 136Kb] and return it to the address on the form, or email it to counciltax@northlincs.gov.uk

You can also set up a Direct Debit over the phone. If you are the bank account holder and the bill you want to pay is in your name, telephone us on 0300 3030164 (option 5). Make sure you have your Council Tax Account Reference number from your bill, your bank account details to hand.

We are currently experiencing a delay between payments being made and account balances being updated.

Please allow ten working days from the date you made your payment for your account balance to be updated before querying your balance with us.

You can make a payment online, using a debit or credit card. You will need your Council Tax Account Reference number from your bill.

Type in the amount you want or need to pay before making the payment.

Consider setting up a regular Direct Debit payment instead.

Call 0300 3031014 (option 1) to pay.  This line is available to make payments 24 hours a day.

You can pay over the telephone using a debit or credit card. You will need your Account Reference number from your bill.

For online banking and standing orders, our details are:

  • bank account number 83416593
  • sort code 20-76-30 (Barclays Bank)

Please quote your Council Tax account number. If paying by standing order, please make sure your payment reaches us by the instalment date shown on your bill so we don’t send you a reminder.

You can pay by cash or debit card at any Post Office or by cash at any PayPoint outlet at no additional cost. You will need your barcoded bill and your payment. If you need a replacement barcoded bill please call us on 0300 3030164 (option 5).

Please keep your receipts when using this pay method in case there is a query later in the financial year.

A full list of Paypoint outlets can be found at Allpay. They will not be able to accept payment without your bill.

Your self-service portal is available 24 hours a day, giving you more control.  You can make a payment, see your balance, check your adjustments, apply for benefit, discounts and exemptions.

You are now able to get your council tax bill online.

Opting to view your bill online is quick, safe and secure and means you can see your bill as soon as it is available. You will be sent an email every time a new bill is produced for you.

All your bills are safely stored in one place – no more lost pieces of paper.

If you do need a paper version, you have the option of printing it at home.

Opting for e-billing also helps the environment by saving on paper, printing and delivery resources.

To sign up you will need to have your last Council Tax bill in front of you, to give us your:

  • Council Tax account number (this is on your bill above the barcode)
  • Name as shown on the bill
  • postcode

Please note, you will need to use a bill that is dated later than March 2020.

Once you have filled in the form for e-billing you need to continue and register your MyAccount, this will then enable you to view your bills in the future.

If you have already signed up for e-Billing, your annual bill for the new financial year 2023/24 has been issued and is available for you to view on your My Account.

If you are having difficulty paying your bill, there are several ways we can help, go to the Council Tax page or contact the council tax team on 0300 3030164 option 5.

Unpaid Council Tax

If you are worried about unpaid Council Tax, speak with our Debt Management section.

It is important that you contact us if you are in arrears with your Council Tax account. This gives us a chance to work together to clear the debt. Arrangements can be made for you to pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly.  Find out more information on our ‘What happens if I don’t pay my Council Tax‘ page.

Council Tax Support

You can apply to get money off your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income or claiming benefits.

You only need to fill in one form to apply for both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support together.

If you just want to claim either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, then this is still the form you need to use.

Visit our Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support page which explains how to submit an application form and the supporting evidence you will need.

The amount of support will depend on the income and circumstances of each individual.

Each year our Council Tax Support Scheme is reviewed. Claims are restricted to a maximum of a Band B charge. This means that if you live in a property rated as Band C or above, your will claim will be assessed against the charge for a Band B property in your area.

Tell us about a change

If you need to tell us about a change to your circumstances – including change of address, change of tenant or single person discount, please visit our ‘Tell us about a change‘ webpage to access the online forms or use the contact details below.

Contact us about Council Tax

You can contact us Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.

0300 3030164

You can write to us at:

Council Tax
North Lincolnshire Council
Church Square House
30-40 High Street
DN15 6NL