Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Most of North Lincolnshire is now live on Universal Credit full service.

If you live in rented accommodated your housing costs may be funded by Universal Credit, so please read the information contained on our Universal Credit page. If you wish to apply for support towards your Council Tax please also complete the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction/Support application form.

If you are working age you can only make a NEW claim for Housing Benefit if you meet certain criteria;

  • Live in supported accommodation where the landlord provides support
  • Live in Temporary Accommodation

If you are pension age you should make a claim for Housing Benefit.

If you are unsure please check with us by calling 0300 3030164 because if you do not claim the correct benefit you may lose money.

The housing benefit and Council Tax Support schemes help people on a low income to pay their rent and Council Tax. Anyone can claim whether they work, or receive state benefits, such as:

  • Income support
  • Jobseeker’s allowance
  • Pension credit
  • Incapacity benefit
  • Employment support allowance
  • Statutory sick pay
  • Maternity pay
  • Retirement pension
  • Universal credit (only council tax support can be claimed)

You can apply online 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is the fastest way to get your claim for housing benefit or council tax support started.

You can also tell us online about any changes that could affect your eligibility.

Am I eligible?

The amount you can get depends on who lives with you, your total income, any savings you have and, if you live in private rented accommodation, the number of rooms your family require. You can get an estimate of your entitlement to housing benefit and council tax support using our calculator.

How do I claim?

Complete and submit the online form and provide the evidence requested.

It can take up to 30 days for us to deal with your new claim or change in circumstance.  We will write to you to tell you about the decision once it has been made. Please do not contact us to check on the progress of your claim unless it has been 30 days since you completed the form.

What information will I need to apply?

When completing the online form you will be asked for:

  • Your national insurance number
  • Details of any savings and investments
  • Details about any earnings, benefits or other income
  • Details about money you pay out

What if things change?

You must tell us if anything changes that could affect your eligibility for housing benefit or council tax support. You can use our change of circumstances online form: