Subject Access Request

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you the right to request access to the information we hold about you and the services you receive from us.  This is known as making a Subject Access Request (SAR).


How do I make a Subject Access (SAR) Request?

You can make a SAR request either verbally or in writing and there is no charge to make a request and generally no charge to provide you with information.  We would prefer you to make your request in writing so that we are clear about the information you would like to access.

We have created a Subject Access Request Form [Doc, 49Kb] or Subject Access Request Form [PDF, 418Kb] that can be printed to help with your request.  This form also explains that identification (ID) that we will need to see before we release any information to you, if we need to identify you.


Please address your form to the Information Governance Team and email it to informationgovernanceteam@northlincs.gov.uk or send it by post to North Lincolnshire Council, Information Governance Team, Church Square House, 30-40 High Street, Scunthorpe, DN15 6NL.



Please note that the response to your request under the Data Protection Act / General Data Protection Regulation may be delayed due to resources being diverted to deal with Public Health priorities.  We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we do remain committed to responding to your request, and will respond as soon as we are able.  Should our response to your request breach the statutory timeframe and you are unhappy with this you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.  You can contact them at:

Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Helpline telephone: 0303 123 1113.


Can I ask someone else to make my Subject Access Request?

Generally other people cannot access your personal information, but in certain circumstances this may be permitted, such as where you have given written permission for someone else to make a request on your behalf or where you have parental responsibility.


Subject Access Request Responses

When we respond some information might be withheld or redacted, such as where another person is referred to or where releasing the information is likely to compromise the prevention and detection of a crime.  Generally we will not charge to provide you with information and where we are considering a charge this will be as permitted by the General Data Protection Regulation and we will discuss this with you.  An example is where you would like a second paper copy of information we have already provided.  Please see our Information Charging Policy for further information.

Before making your SAR request please read our Access to Information Policy [PDF, 416Kb] and PR03 – SAR Guidance NLC Notes [Doc, 26Kb] that provide further detail.


Access to adoption records

Adults who have been adopted can request access to their original adoption files. Please see our Adoption File Access page for more information and to access the Adoption File Request Form.


For further details please contact the council’s Information Governance Advisor via informationgovernanceteam@northlincs.gov.uk.