Appendix 4a Licence Conditions Guidance Notes

Guidance Note Condition Number 1


Overcrowding Summary and Landlord Actions to Address Such Overcrowding Overcrowding is regulated via Statutory Overcrowding as detailed in the Housing Act 1985 and via the Housing Act 2004 Part 1 as one of the 29 hazards of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (crowding and space).

Councils are advised, as a first step, to assess the health and safety implications of overcrowding and to consider the appropriateness of action under Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004. Such action would need to be based on the evidence of the harmful impact of overcrowding in relation to the household’s needs. A wide range of factors is relevant to the space and crowding hazard, including the number, sizes and layout of rooms. Where the council chooses to use its Part 1 powers to address Category 1 or 2 hazards it will not normally be appropriate to make parallel use of the Housing Act 1985 provisions. Measurements will be in accordance with RICS Code of Measuring Practice which can be accessed here: https://www.rics.org/profession-standards/rics-standards-and-guidance/sector-standards/real-estate-standards/code-of-measuring-practice

Landlord actions to reduce overcrowding: In circumstances where a tenant has allowed extra persons to occupy their home without your written permission such that it becomes overcrowded the council will expect a graduated approach to reducing occupancy taking into account the severity of the impact on tenants health and safety and the health and wellbeing of the wider community. Within the 28 day period the landlord will be expected to provide a series of verbal and written warnings along with sign posting to relevant service providers such as the council Housing Advice Team who can assist with re-housing. Housing Advice Team

The final action within the 28 day period to address overcrowding where warnings and advice have not been followed and the severity and impact of the overcrowding is considered by the council to be significant would be the seeking of a possession order as detailed below.

Section 8 possession orders break of a term in a tenancy agreement

With relevant evidence Landlords are able to act to seek a Section 8 possession order using the following grounds:

  • ground 12 – break of a term in the tenancy agreement

A section 8 notice must give:

  • the right amount of time
  • the date after which court action can start
  • the legal reasons for possession and how they apply to your situation

A section 8 notice must give 2 weeks notice for ground 12.

If using other grounds you will need to check the Notice period which may be up to 2 months and further information can be found on the Shelter web site here including links to a Notice period checker tool. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/eviction_after_a_section_8_notice#

Further details on how overcrowding is assessed is detailed in Guidance Note 2 below.

Guidance Note Condition Number 2


Overcrowding Detailed
Housing Act 1985

Section 325 of the Housing Act 1985 provides that overcrowding exists where:

  • there are so many people in a house such that any two or more of those persons, being ten or more years old, and of opposite sexes, not being persons living together as husband and wife, have to sleep in the same room.

For these purposes, children under ten may be disregarded and a room means any room normally used as either a bedroom or a living room. A kitchen can be treated as a living room provided it is big enough to accommodate a bed.

When applying this definition, the council looks at how sleeping arrangements within the dwelling could be organised, rather than how they are organised. Therefore, a couple, with two children of opposite sexes and aged ten years or more, with two living rooms (bedrooms for example), may not be statutorily overcrowded because the couple could occupy separate rooms, with one each of the children of the appropriate sex. There is no limit on the number of people of the same sex who can live in the same room under section 325, although there may be a contravention of the space standard (see below).

Statutory Overcrowding Standards (rooms and space):


This standard works by calculating the permitted number of people for a dwelling in one of two ways. The lower number calculated is the permitted number for the dwelling. One test is based on the number of living rooms in the dwelling (disregarding rooms of less than 50 square feet):

  • one room = two persons
  • two rooms = three persons
  • three rooms = five persons
  • four rooms = seven and a half persons
  • five rooms or more = ten persons plus two for each room in excess of five rooms.

A child below the age of one is disregarded and a child between the age of one and ten counts as a half person.


The other test is based on floor areas of each room size:

  • less than 50 square feet = no one
  • 50 to less than 70 square feet = half a person
  • 70 to less than 90 square feet = one person
  • 90 to less than 110 square feet = one and a half persons
  • 110 square feet or larger = two persons.

Breach of the above Statutory Standard is a Criminal Offence. A household that is statutorily overcrowded will have this considered if they apply for assistance from the local housing authority, but statutory overcrowding does not give rise to an automatic right to rehousing.

Housing Act 2004 Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)

Crowding and space are one of the key factors taken into account in assessing the risk faced by tenants. The HHSRS Operating Guidance describes an ideal that, depending on gender mix, a dwelling with one bedroom is suitable for up to two people regardless of age; two bedrooms for up to four people; three for up to six people; and four for up to seven people. Living rooms and kitchens are also considered. Whether a dwelling is actually overcrowded depends on the age and circumstances of the family in it. Thus the four-person family referred to above would be expected to have two bedrooms: in practice the family make-up would mean that three bedrooms would be appropriate.

Every situation falling short of the ideal will not necessarily demonstrate conditions hazardous to health and safety, but a high-scoring “Category 1” hazard would trigger a duty on the council to act. Lesser hazards would trigger a discretionary power to act. Whilst overcrowding is identified in itself as a potential hazard, it may also impact in other ways: for example it might aggravate the risk of trips and falls or the ability to escape from a fire.

For the hazard of Crowding and Space section 11.19 of the HHSRS operating guidance states “For further information and guidance see – Unit Size and Layout Sections of the Housing Quality Indicator (HQI) system, and publications such as the Metric Handbook – Planning and Design Data”. Whilst the HQI System has been withdrawn the Metric Handbook is still being published and is particularly useful because it contains information about communal room sizes unlike the NDSS which only specifies bedroom sizes and overall gross internal floor areas for dwellings. The Metric Handbook (7th Edition) can be downloaded here: https://zlib.pub/book/metric-handbook-planning-and-design-data-5e2fmf6bf9p0

A Worked Example of a Crowding and Space HHSRS assessment can be found here: https://www.dashservices.org.uk/Resources/HHSRS-Worked-Examples

LACORS Crowding and Space Guidance can be found here: https://www.newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk/media/newark-and-sherwood/images-and-files/housing/private-housing/LACORs-Guidance—Crowding-and-Space.pdf

The council will consider crowding and space as part of its whole house assessment under HHSRS to come to a final conclusion on suitable permitted occupancy. National Space Standards: The nationally described space standard is not a building regulation and remains solely within the planning system as a new form of technical planning standard. Where relevant to Planning Approvals authorised by the council under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 regard will be given to these space standards https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/technical-housing-standards-nationally-described-space-standard

Re-housing in Overcrowded Circumstances

Under section 167 of the Housing Act 1996, a local housing authority is required to have an allocation scheme for determining priorities in the allocation of housing accommodation. That scheme must ensure that reasonable preference is given to: “people occupying insanitary or overcrowded housing or otherwise living in unsatisfactory housing conditions”. Source : https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2003-11-18.139269.h

The Secretary of State takes the view that the bedroom standard is an appropriate measure of overcrowding for allocation purposes, and recommends that all housing authorities should adopt this as a minimum. The bedroom standard allocates a separate bedroom to each:

  • married or cohabiting couple
  • adult aged 21 years or more
  • pair of adolescents aged 10-20 years of the same sex
  • pair of children aged under 10 years regardless of sex

Source : DLUHC, Allocation of accommodation: Guidance for local housing authorities in England, May 2023, para 4.8 https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/social-housing-allocations-guidance

The Housing Act 2004 allows the council to give reasonable preference, or additional preference, to households in accommodation containing a Category 1 hazard caused or aggravated by overcrowding.

The council uses the Home Choice Lincs system to manage re-housing demand and eligibility banding : https://www.homechoicelincs.org.uk/EHOWizard/Add

Alternatively you may wish to direct tenants to the council Housing Advice Team.

Shelter have an overcrowding checker here: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/check_if_your_home_is_overcrowded_by_law and advice here: https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/legal/housing_conditions/overcrowding#title-3

Guidance Note Condition Number 3


The gas safety certificate required by condition 1 above shall contain as a minimum the following:

  1. a description of and the location of each appliance or flue checked
  2. the name, registration number and signature of the individual carrying out the check
  3. the date on which the appliance or flue was checked
  4. the address of the property at which the appliance or flue is installed
  5. the name and address of the landlord (or their agent where appropriate)
  6. any safety-related defect identified and any remedial action taken
  7. confirmation that the safety check has included an examination of the matters referred to in paragraphs (a) to (d) of regulation 26(9) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 https://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords/gassaferecord.htm
  8. uniquely identifies the Gas Safe registered engineer who did the safety check, eg an electronic signature, a scanned signature, a Gas Safe registered engineer license number, the name of the engineer

Guidance Note Condition Number 4


Electrical Appliances Supplied by the Licence Holder

In order to demonstrate compliance with Condition 2 (maintain supplied electrical appliances in a safe condition) regular visual checks and Portable Appliance Testing PAT Testing Explained | Electrical Safety First must be carried out in accordance Electrical Safety First Best Practice Guide 6 best-practice-guide-6.pdf (electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk)

Upon completion of Portable Appliance Testing the report must contain as a minimum the following information which shall be submitted to North Lincolnshire Council upon demand:

i. The name and signature of the competent registered electrician undertaking the inspection to safety standard BS7671

j. The date of the inspection and address of the licenced dwelling house

k. An inventory containing each type of appliance, name, location and description

l. A full set of test results for each appliance tested

m. A full list of failed items with an explanation of their failure

n. Written confirmation a visible pass or fail label on each appliance detailing the inspection date, next test date and inspectors signature.

Guidance Note Condition Number 5


Electrical Installations

Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 (legislation.gov.uk) make it a Mandatory requirement for landlords to:

  • Ensure national standards for electrical safety are met. These are set out in the 18th edition of the wiring regulations which are published as British Standard 7671. https://electrical.theiet.org/bs-7671/ and associated guidance Wiring Regulations – BS 7671 |
  • Electrical Safety First
  • Ensure the electrical installations in rented properties are inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person at an interval of at least every 5 years.
  • Obtain a report from the person conducting the inspection and test which gives the results and sets a date for the next inspection and test. · Supply a copy of this report to the existing tenant within 28 days of the inspection and test. · Supply a copy of this report to a new tenant before they occupy the premises.
  • Supply a copy of this report to any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request for the report.
  • Supply the local authority with a copy of this report within 7 days of receiving a request for a copy.
  • Retain a copy of the report to give to the inspector and tester who will undertake the next inspection and test.
  • Where the report shows that remedial or further investigative work is necessary, complete this work within 28 days or any shorter period if specified as necessary in the report.
  • Supply written confirmation of the completion of the remedial works from the electrician to the tenant and the local authority within 28 days of completion of the works.

Failure to comply with these Mandatory duties may result in Financial Penalties to a maximum of £30,000.

Further Guidance in relation to how North Lincolnshire Council would calculate Financial Civil Penalties can be found here: Civil Penalties Enforcement Guidance and Procedure (northlincs.gov.uk)

Relevant Best Practice Guidance for Competent Persons testing, inspecting dwelling houses and issuing Electrical Installation Certificates can be found here: best-practice-guide-4-issue-7.pdf (electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk)

Government Guidance for Landlords can be found here: Guide for landlords: electrical safety standards in the private rented sector – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Part P Building Regulations

Except for some types of minor work, if you intend to carry out electrical installation work in domestic premises, you must either:

  • notify a building control body (usually your local authority building control department) before the work starts, or
  • have it carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-authorised Part P competent person scheme operators, or
  • in England, have the work inspected and tested by a registered third party certifier Electrical safety: Approved Document P – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Guidance Note Condition Number 6



Details about the Regulations and Guidance can be found here https://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/ If you have purchased a product where you have concerns about compliance please contact North Lincolnshire Trading Standards Trading.Standards@northlincs.gov.uk

Guidance Note Condition Number 7


Smoke Alarms

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Regulations (England) Regulations 2015 and The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Amendment) Regulations 2022 make it a Mandatory requirement for to have at least one smoke alarm installed on each storey of a property which contains a room being used, wholly or partly, as ‘living accommodation’ (a mezzanine floor would not be considered a storey and living accommodation includes bathrooms and toilets)

Further Guidance can be found here: Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Amendment) Regulations 2022: guidance for landlords and tenants – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

The council will make general reference to LACORS Fire Safety Guidance when assessing Licence holder fire risk assessments which can be found here: https://dashservices.org.uk/Media/Default/Docs/Lacors%20Fire%20Safety%20Guide.pdf

The above document has not been updated in line with recent amendments to British Standards and therefore regard should also be given to:

When considering the type of Fire Detection Systems to install you must have regard to the relevant British Standard 5839-6:2019. There is a new Grading System of A to F2 and there is an easy to read “Guide” of this standard here which can be downloaded and retained for future reference: Fire: British Standard BS 5839-6:2019 Latest Revision | FireAngel

Persons who undertake Fire Risk Assessments should be competent to undertake the assessment. Competency to carry out Fire Risk Assessments is relevant as detailed by the National Fire Chiefs Council here: https://nfcc.org.uk/our-services/position-statements/fire-safety-risk-assessment-guidance/

You should assess the competence and suitability of contractors as detailed here : https://nfcc.org.uk/our-services/position-statements/fire-safety-risk-assessment-guidance/ Where relevant Building regulations Approved Document B expects that all properties built on or after 1 June 1992 have a hard-wired smoke alarm installed on at least every floor Fire safety: Approved Document B – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Guidance Note Condition Number 8


Carbon Monoxide Alarms

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 and The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Amendment) Regulations 2022 make it a mandatory requirement to install a carbon monoxide alarm in any room in the house which is used wholly or partly as living accommodation where a fixed combustion appliance is present guidance for landlords.

Further Guidance can be found here: Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Amendment) Regulations 2022: guidance for landlords and tenants – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

For the purpose of Condition 6, “room” includes a hall or landing and a bathroom or lavatory is to be treated as a room used as living accommodation.

Guidance Note Condition Number 9


Terms of Occupation

Shelter provide further advice on different types of tenancies and it is important that you use the right type of agreement so you take account of the relevant protection from eviction status of your tenant Types of tenancy agreement – Shelter England

Guidance Note Condition Number 10


Tenant Reference Checks

Right to Rent Checks are a legal requirement and you may be fined up to £3000 and sent to prison if you rent to someone who does not have the right to rent. Further details regarding what you need to check and the documentation you need to retain is provided here:

Right to rent checks from 1 July 2021: information for landlords (accessible version) – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) and here: Checking your tenant’s right to rent: How to do a check – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) Shelter provides further advice on the types of references and credit checks that would be deemed adequate : How landlords and agents check tenants – Shelter England

Guidance Note Condition Number 11


Rental Payments

Shelter provides some general guidance on the types of rental payments and documentation of those payments via a form of rent book : Shelter Legal England – Payment of rent – Shelter England

Guidance Note Condition Number 12



Provisions regarding paying a deposit to secure rented accommodation and recovering the deposit at the end of the tenancy can be found on the Shelter web site here: Tenancy deposits – Shelter England.

Guidance Note Condition Number 13


Permitted Fees

The Tenant Fees Act 2019 makes it an offence to charge prohibited payments.

An enforcement authority can impose a civil penalty if it is satisfied beyond all reasonable doubt that a landlord or agent has committed a breach of the tenant fees rules. The civil penalty can be up to

  • £5,000 for an initial breach
  • £30,000 for any subsequent breach within five years.

A subsequent breach is a criminal offence and a banning order offence The enforcement authority can either prosecute the landlord or agent, or impose a civil penalty.

A tenant or licensee who has paid a prohibited fee can take direct action to recover that money in the First-tier Tribunal. An enforcement authority can assist, for example by providing advice or by conducting proceedings. There is no prescribed time limit for bringing a claim. However, if the claim is made more than six years after the breach occurred, it is likely that the landlord or agent could rely on the Limitation Act 1980.

Government Guidance Can be found here: Tenant Fees Act 2019: guidance – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Guidance Note Condition Number 14


Managing Agent/Property Manager

New legislation introduced from 1 October 2014 Redress Schemes for Lettings Agency Work and Property Management Work (Requirement to Belong to a Scheme etc)(England) Order 2014 means it is a legal requirement for all lettings agents and property managers in England to join one of two government-approved redress schemes.

Lettings agents and property managers: which government approved redress scheme do you belong to? – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

The Council can a fine of up to £5,000 where an agent or property manager who should have joined a scheme has not done so.

The two currently approved schemes are provided below:

Guidance Note Condition Number 15


Tenants Information Pack

We want to help make sure tenancies get off to a good start, and any issues that arise are dealt with quickly and properly and having a complaints procedure will help to achieve this and the government aspiration to have safe, secure, warm and dry place tenants call home.

The Energy Act 2011 makes it a legal requirement not to rent a residential property unless in meets the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards of an E or is Registered with a relevant exemption. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/domestic-private-rented-property-minimum-energy-efficiency-standard-landlord-guidance

Further guidance is detailed below on all relevant legislative requirements :

Guidance Note Condition Number 16


Housing Support Needs

Equality Act 2010: The Equality Act 2010 legally protects people from discrimination in wider society. It is against the law to discriminate against anyone because of:

  • age
  • gender reassignment
  • being married or in a civil partnership
  • being pregnant or on maternity leave
  • disability (if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities)
  • race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
  • religion or belief
  • sex
  • sexual orientation.

The Licence holder will be expected to meet residents’ needs, for example if a resident is disabled by ensuring relevant housing adaptations are facilitated in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 to ensure reasonable physical housing adjustments are made available.

Details regarding Disabled Facilities Grants can be found here: Disabled Facilities Grants: Overview – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) and the Council Homes Assistance Team assist with this grant delivery : Housing support and financial assistance – North Lincolnshire Council (northlincs.gov.uk)

Guidance Note Condition Number 17


Fit for Human Habitation

The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 came into force on 20 March 2019. It is designed to ensure that all rented accommodation is fit for human habitation and to strengthen tenants’ means of redress against the minority of landlords who do not fulfil their legal obligations to keep their properties safe.

There are no new obligations for landlords under this Act; the legislation requires landlords to ensure that they are meeting their existing responsibilities with regards to property standards and safety.

  • landlords must ensure that their property, including any common parts of the building, is fit for human habitation at the beginning of the tenancy and throughout
  • to achieve that, landlords will need to ensure that their property is free of hazards which are so serious that the dwelling is not reasonably suitable for occupation in that condition.

Guidance Note Condition Number 18 – 25


Anti-Social Behaviour

For the purposes of the Housing Act 2004, antisocial behaviour means conduct on the part of occupiers of, or visitors to, residential premises –

(1) Which or is likely to cause a nuisance or annoyance to persons residing, visiting or otherwise engaged in lawful activities in the vicinity of such premises, or

(2) Which involves or is likely to involve the use of such premises for illegal purposes.

Examples of ASB include:

  • Crime: tenants engaging in vandalism, criminal damage, burglary, robbery/ theft and car crime
  • Nuisance neighbours: Intimidation and harassment; noise, rowdy and nuisance behaviour; animal related problems; vehicle related nuisance. Tenants engaged in begging; antisocial drinking; street prostitution and kerb crawling; street drugs market within the curtilage of the property.
  • Enviro-crime: tenants engaged in graffiti and fly posting; fly tipping; litter and waste; drugs paraphernalia; fireworks misuse in and around the curtilage of the property.

Information about Section 8 Ground 14 for possession relating to Anti Social Behaviour can be found here: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/eviction_after_a_section_8_notice

Information about Suspended Possession Orders can be found here: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/what_is_a_suspended_possession_order

Guidance Note Condition Number 26



Information and Guidance about:

Guidance Note Condition Number 27



Advice on securing boundaries to properties can be found here : https://www.securedbydesign.com/guidance/crime-prevention-advice/garden-security/secure-your-home-garden

Guidance Note Condition Number 28


Vermin Control

The British Pest Control Association have developed a range of advice leaflets which raise awareness about typical pest issues and methods of control and management. They can be downloaded for free here: https://bpca.org.uk/pest-advice/documents-and-codes/pest-and-prevention-leaflets

The following should be downloaded and referred to when managing a Licenced dwelling house :

  • Bedbugs
  • Cockroaches
  • Fleas
  • Mice
  • Rats.

Guidance Note Condition Number 29


As a landlord and Licence holder any waste left behind by tenants must be treated as commercial/business waste as detailed here : https://www.gov.uk/dispose-business-commercial-waste

The Waste Duty of Care Code of Practice issued under section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applies where you produce, carry, keep, dispose of, treat, import or have control of waste. The law requires anyone dealing with waste to keep it safe, make sure it’s dealt with responsibly and only given to businesses authorised to take it. The Code of Practice can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/waste-duty-of-care-code-of-practice

A Waste Transfer Note Form can be downloaded here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/duty-of-care-waste-transfer-note-template

You can find a Registered Waste Carrier/Broker/Dealer here: https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/search-waste-carriers-brokers

You can find a Licenced Scrap Metal Dealer here: https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/search-scrap-metal-dealers

Guidance Note Condition Number 30 – 31


Household Waste Management/Waste Management Checks

Information about the service the Council provides for waste collections and disposal can be found here Bins, waste and recycling

Waste Public Space Protection Order Scunthorpe North

The council currently has in place a Public Space Protection Order for Scunthorpe North Area which relates to Waste Management as detailed here : https://www.northlincs.gov.uk/planning-and-environment/public-spaces-protection-order-pspo/#1540824738157-280dce6c-2b7b

The PSPO for waste sets out the councils expectations in relation to household waste for tenants and not complying with these requirements is considered to represent poor waste management practices.

Guidance Note Condition Number 32


Summary Houses in Multiple Occupation (less than 5 and more than 2 persons)

For Further Details of the Management Regulations which apply to these types of dwellings see Appendix 4B

A House in Multiple Occupation is defined by:

  • a building or flat in which two or more households share a basic amenity, such as bathroom, toilet or cooking facilities: this is known as the ‘standard test’ or the ‘self-contained flat test’
  • a building that has been converted and does not entirely comprise of self-contained flats: this is known as the ‘converted building test’
  • a building that is declared an HMO by the local authority
  • a converted block of flats where the standard of the conversion does not meet the relevant building standards and fewer than two-thirds of the flats are owner-occupied: this is known as a section 257 HMO

The Shelter website provides some plain English explanations.

Persons responsible for the management of HMO’s have extra responsibilities to manage the property. These are known as “Management Regulations”. Shelter provides some plain English advice on these duties.

Fire Safety

An important Management Duty within HMO’s relates to Fire Safety and the requirement to carry out an appropriate Fire Risk Assessment in accordance with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (legislation.gov.uk) and the relevant guidance here: A guide for persons with duties under fire safety legislation (accessible) – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Persons who undertake Fire Risk Assessments should be competent to undertake the assessment. Competency to carry out Fire Risk Assessments is relevant as detailed by the National Fire Chiefs Council here: https://nfcc.org.uk/our-services/position-statements/fire-safety-risk-assessment-guidance/

You should assess the competence and suitability of contractors as detailed here : https://nfcc.org.uk/our-services/position-statements/fire-safety-risk-assessment-guidance/

When considering the type of Fire Detection Systems to install you must have regard to the relevant British Standard 5839-6:2019. There is a new Grading System of A to F2 and there is an easy to read “Guide” of this standard here which can be downloaded and retained for future reference: Fire: British Standard BS 5839-6:2019 Latest Revision | FireAngel