Post 16 transport for students with special educational needs and disabilities to college or sixth form

The council aims to ensure young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) are supported to prepare for an adult life, helping them to achieve the best possible outcomes in education in a way that is inclusive and encourages independence. It does this through its post 16 transport for students with special educational needs and disabilities policy.

If you are applying to a college or school sixth form to continue your education post 16 you may be eligible for help with your transport

If you:

  • Have an Education, Health, and Care Plan (EHCP), or
  • Had an EHCP or a statement of Special Educational Needs whilst at school, or
  • Have learning difficulties or disabilities, or
  • Have medical needs

and are unable to travel to school/college independently, or need extra time to complete your course because of your medical need or disability, you may be entitled for additional help with your transport.

To apply

Please download and complete an SEN Post 16 Transport Application form [PDF, 76Kb]

Completed forms should be returned to Education Transport, Hewson House, PO Box 35, Station Road, Brigg, DN20 8XJ.

Students who are able to use public transport, should apply via the Post 16 transport to college or sixth form page.

They may also be entitled to free travel on public transport under the national scheme.

The chosen course of study must be a course of further education at a publicly funded institution. Students over the age of 19 must be attending courses funded by a public body such as the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA).

The course must be at a college or school within North Lincolnshire unless:

  • the out of county college placement is funded by a public body such as the ESFA or North Lincolnshire Council
  • the course is not available in North Lincolnshire and there is no suitable alternative locally


The student must live in North Lincolnshire when enrolled on the course.

Anyone who moves to North Lincolnshire for the purpose of receiving full-time education may not be eligible for support from North Lincolnshire Council.


Students may be eligible for additional support with transport if they have an EHCP, or had a statement of special educational needs at school or have a medical condition, which means they cannot use public transport, or they need longer to complete a course because of their medical need or disability. If a student is able to use public transport, for example having received independent travel training at school or college, but who chooses not to use this means of transport, the student may not be eligible for additional support under this policy.


Students must be aged 16 to 20 on the 31 August. Transport support may be extended to students aged up to 24 if they are attending residential educational provision funded by a recognised public body such as the EFA.

Educational progression

The college and North Lincolnshire Council or the ESFA must support the student’s attendance on the course. We must have evidence that they will continue to make educational progress by undertaking the course.