Find out if your child is eligible for free school meals and apply online. Learn about our healthy menus and how we cater for special dietary requirements.
Free school meals
This information about free school meals applies to children who attend schools in North Lincolnshire. Students who attend colleges should contact their college for more information.
Free school meals are offered to children of families who receive one of the following:
- Universal Credit with an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual income of no more than £16,190
If your child qualifies for free school meals you may also receive a school clothing grant. We will assess this at the same time as your free school meals claim, using the same application.
Temporary extension to eligibility
During the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak, the government is also temporarily extending free school meal eligibility to include some children of groups who have no recourse to public funds. These groups are:
- children of Zambrano carers
- children of families with no recourse to public funds with a right to remain in the UK on grounds of private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights
- children of families receiving support under Section 17 of the Children Act 1989 who are also subject to a no recourse to public funds restriction
These groups are also subject to a maximum household earnings threshold of £7,400 per annum.
The government is also temporarily extending eligibility to children of a subset of failed asylum seekers supported under Section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999. This group is not subject to a maximum household earnings threshold.
If you believe your children will temporarily qualify for free school meals under one of the above criteria please contact us and we will send you an application form to complete.
How to apply
Please list all of your children who attend a school (other than Oasis Academies) in North Lincolnshire on the form.
Alternatively, you can use this form Free School Meals Registration Form [Word document, 8Kb], or get a paper version of the form sent to you if you contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01724 297000
We will let you and your child’s school know when your claim has been processed.
ALL children in Reception, Year 1, and Year 2 are entitled to a free school meal. However, it is still really important that if you get one of the above benefits you complete this form. It may also enable us to pay you a clothing grant and the school will receive up to an extra £1320 per year from the Government for each of your children.