Support with your care needs

Advice on the care needs assessment process, using an advocate to support you, rehabilitation and reablement services, care in your own home and choosing a care home.

What can we help you with?

If you, or someone you care for, need social care and support services from North Lincolnshire Council, there are some simple steps you need to take.

To receive services from the council, you require an assessment of your care needs. This helps the council to understand the type and level of support that you need.

You can start this conversation now by completing our online assessment form or by contacting Adult Services on 01724 297000 to arrange an assessment.

During the assessment process you will need to share details of your personal circumstances to ensure that any services you may receive are the most appropriate for you.

To make access to social care fair across the country, the Care Act 2014 sets out criteria for who is eligible to receive care services.

The national guidance states that you should meet three criteria.

You should:

  • Have needs arising from a physical or mental impairment
  • Not be able to meet two or more of the ‘Eligibility Outcomes’
  • Be experiencing a significant impact on your wellbeing because of this.

You may also be classed as meeting the criteria if you:

  • cannot reach the outcome without assistance
  • can reach the outcome, but this causes you significant pain or stress
  • can reach the outcome but it puts your health and safety at risk
  • You can reach the outcome but it takes you much more time and effort than would be expected.

Why might someone need an advocate?

It is important for everyone to be involved and have their say in decisions about their lives, including their care and support. An advocate can help you to get your views heard if you have difficulty doing this without support.

Advocates are independent. They are not there to give their opinion or to represent the opinions of particular organisations. They are there to support you and it is your views they are interested in hearing and representing.

An advocate might:

  • Help you to access information that you need
  • Accompany you to meetings/interviews if you want them to
  • Assist you with correspondence such as letters or phone calls
  • Represent your views in situations where you don’t feel able to speak for yourself.

Advocacy services in North Lincolnshire are provided by Cloverleaf Advocacy

You may be referred to Cloverleaf by a health or social care professional or community organisation. You can also get in contact with Cloverleaf by yourself. Their services are free to all eligible adults.

Those requiring more specialised forms of advocacy such as support from an independent mental health advocate or independent mental capacity advocate are appointed through a formal process depending on individual circumstances.

Adaptations are items and equipment for around your home and garden to make daily life easier. It may be that you need help getting up and down stairs or generally moving around.

Adaptations can be large items such as stair lifts or more simple products such as handrails to help with mobility or seat raiser for toilets for example.

For further information, go to our staying independent page.

Our Independent Living Centre will discuss options with you including smart technology, telecare and other small adaptations. If you need further support you will be referred to see an Occupational Therapist.

Handyperson scheme

The handyperson scheme can carry out the following to any property in North Lincolnshire:

  • minor repairs to your property
  • small works such as fitting curtain rails, putting up shelves
  • improvements to access, such as adding ramps for scooters or additional steps
  • fitting additional handrails.

In addition, if you been the victim of burglary, concerned about your home security, or you are worried about the threat of burglary in your area, we may be able to help you by fitting some or all of the following items:

  • window locks
  • upgraded door locks or additional locks
  • security bolts
  • door chains
  • door viewers or peep holes
  • kick stops.

The scheme is partly funded by North Lincolnshire Council, Humberside Police, social services and several other organisations, therefore services can be provided at a very competitive price. A member of the handyperson service will visit to give you a free quote for the work required. For further information please email handyperson@northlincs.gov.uk or call 01724 297000

Home care, or domiciliary care, is support provided in the person’s own home to allow them to stay independent for as long as possible. A home carer is paid to carry out this service and so should not be confused with a voluntary carer, such as a family member.

For more information see our Rehabilitation and Reablement information above.

The thought of going to live in a care home can be worrying time, whether for yourself or someone else. It is an important decision to make and one that we can help you with. Before you make your decision consider if there may be other options to living in a care home.

Many people employ a Personal Assistant or a Home Carer to provide care in their own home. It is important to make sure you have explored all your options before making the decision to move into a care home. If you need some help or advice you can contact Adult Services on 01724 297000 who can help you explore your options to help you make a decision about what will be best for you.

Further information, including how to find a care home is available on our choosing a care home page.


If you are unable to find the information you are looking for or if you would prefer to speak to someone about low level health and wellbeing needs, please complete the form below and we will contact you.