Street Activities, Authorisations and Tables and Chairs

Who needs to apply?

An authorisation is needed where a business or person wishes to place an obstruction on or over the highway.

Any person or business who wishes to place or do anything on, in or over the highway which causes an obstruction is required to apply for a permission from the council. The permission for such activities is contained within section 115E of the Highways Act 1980.

Downloadable forms

This applies to any object or structure which is used for a purpose of the production of income, providing advice or information.

Production of income

The placing of tables and chairs on the highway.

Permissions (providing advice)

Organisations and businesses wishing to provide advice where the provision includes an obstruction or vehicle on the highway.

For those wishing to park a vehicle on a site there may be an additional fee to pay to parking services depending on the activity.  Applicants should contact Parking Services for any parking dispensation required.

Fees and charges

You can find the fee for this authorisation by going to our licence fee register.

When considering applications for other commercial activities – we will restrict the number of such activities permitted in order to reduce any potential interference to highway users.


We aim to deal with grant and renewal applications within 70 days. Tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted/renewed if you have not heard from us by the end of the above application period.

Tel: 01724 297750

Licensing Department
PO Box 42
Church Square House
DN15 6XQ

Monday to Thursday
9:00 am – 12.30 pm & 2:00 pm – 4.30 pm

9:00 am – 12.30 pm & 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm