About the Register Office

Find out about the register office and the services it provides.

Make an appointment at the Register Office

You will need to make an appointment at the register office if you want to:

We also offer a range of non-statutory services including:

To make an appointment please contact us on registrars@northlincs.gov.uk or 01724 297000.

All appointments are held at the register office at Scunthorpe Central, Carlton Street, Scunthorpe. There is a car parking nearby at Carlton Street or the multi-storey car park on Cole Street.

In certain circumstances (if you cannot attend the Scunthorpe Central) you may be able to register at an information, advice and guidance centre. Please ask about this service when you contact us.

The county of Lincolnshire is divided into three separate registration districts. Each deals with their own specific area.

North Lincolnshire Registration Service

North Lincolnshire Registration Service covers Scunthorpe, Brigg, Broughton, Scawby, Barton-upon-Humber, Crowle, Epworth, North Killingholme and Kirton-in-Lindsey, along with other smaller villages in the area.

All births, deaths, stillbirths, civil partnerships and marriages occurring in North Lincolnshire are registered at:

Scunthorpe Central
Carlton Street
North Lincolnshire
DN15 6TX


01724 298555

North East Lincolnshire Registration District

Covers Grimsby, Cleethorpes, Immingham and Humberston.

The Register Office
Cleethorpes Town Hall
Knoll Street
DN35 8LN

01472 324860

Lincolnshire Registration District

Covers Lincoln, Caistor, Bourne, Sleaford, Boston, Louth, Holbeach, Horncastle, Skegness, Gainsborough, Spalding, Stamford and Spilsby.

The Register Office for the District of Lincolnshire
4 Lindum Road

01522 782244

The General Register Office is part of Her Majesty’s Passport Office and oversees civil registration in England and Wales. They maintain the national archive of all births, marriages and deaths dating back to 1837. More information about registering births, stillbirths, deaths, civil partnerships and marriages can be found on the General Register Office website.

We offer a Change of Name Deed service. You do not have to follow a legal process to start using a new name. But you might need a ‘deed poll’ to apply for or to change official documents like your passport or driving licence.

To change your name, you need to be a British citizen over the age of 18. Please contact us to make an appointment.

You will be required to attend in person and produce the following original documents:

  • proof of identity – either your full birth certificate (showing parents’ names) or your current passport
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Decree Absolute (if divorced)
  • proof of address – a recent bank statement or utility bill showing your correct address

A trained registration officer will prepare and witness the Change of Name Deed. You will receive your name deed at the end of your appointment. The process usually takes up to half an hour. This includes the preparation and production of two officially stamped and signed Change of Name Deeds.

We will give you one original deed to keep and we will keep a copy for our records. Your birth certificate will not change. The name deed will run alongside your birth certificate and you should keep both documents together at all times.

When deciding on your chosen name, the new name must not:

  • be rude or offensive
  • be used to create the impression of an inherited or awarded title, for example Sir, Dame, Lord, Lady
  • be chosen with the intent to defraud


The fee for name deed is £60

You can buy additional certified copies on the day for £10.

Your can order extra copies up to 10 years after the deed was made for £30

You can pay by debit or credit card.

If you want copies after 10 years, you will need a fresh Change of Name Deed drawn up and the full fee for the service at that time would apply.

Frequently asked questions about name changes

I am getting married or registering a civil partnership, do I need a Change of Name Deed?

If you are getting married or registering a civil partnership and taking your partner’s name, or ‘double-barrelling’ your names, then you will not need to apply for a Change of Name Deed. The certificate that you will be issued with after the ceremony or signing has taken place can be used as proof of how you have changed your name.

If, however, you have decided to combine your names (also known as ‘meshing’), for example combining Smith and Miles to Smiles, then a Change of Name Deed would be advisable.

Can I change my child’s name?

If your child was born in England or Wales and is under the age of one year old, you can change your child’s forename only on the birth certificate through a ‘certificate of naming’ which is available from your local Register Office. This service costs £40 and copy certificates after the entry is made will be £11.

We do not currently offer the Change of Name Deed service for anyone under the age of 18.

Informing people of your change of name

After you’ve changed your name there are a number of people that you may wish to tell about the change. These include:

  • Passport agency
  • Insurance companies
  • Driving/vehicle licence agency
  • Pension fund
  • Banks
  • TV licence
  • Building societies
  • Child’s school
  • Credit card company
  • Utility companies
  • Doctor
  • Local authority
  • Dentist
  • Electoral roll
  • Employer
  • Professional organisations
  • Inland Revenue
  • Library
  • Child benefit agency
  • Clubs

We aim to deliver a high quality service to North Lincolnshire residents. We do this by adopting some key guiding principles throughout all the work we do.

National Standards

All registration services have standards set by The General Register Office to ensure timely registrations. These standards are to:

  • Register 98% of births within 42 days of the event
  • Register 90% of deaths within five days of the event
  • Offer appointments within the following timescales:
    – Births – three working days
    – Deaths – two working days
    – Marriage notices – five working days
  • See 90% of our appointments within 10 minutes of their pre-booked appointment time
  • Process copy certificates within five working days of the application receipt
  • Reach at least a 95% satisfaction level with our customer surveys
  • Receive less than 0.1% of complaints as a percentage of all our callers

Contact us


01724 297000

Scunthorpe Central
Carlton Street
North Lincolnshire
DN15 6TX

If you need to contact a registrar in an emergency outside office hours, please call the CCTV Centre on 01724 276444

They will contact us on your behalf and arrange for you to be called back.