Local councillors oversee the work of the council, and set the strategies and priorities. Find out how you can become a Councillor.
Standing at a local election
If you wish to stand at a local election you must be:
- 18 years old or over on the day of nomination
- a British, Irish Republic, Commonwealth or other EU citizen.
You must also meet at least one of the following four qualifications on the day you are nominated and on polling day:
- be registered as a local government elector for North Lincolnshire
- occupied as an owner or tenant any land or other premises in North Lincolnshire during the whole of the 12 months before the day you are nominated
- worked only or mainly in North Lincolnshire during the last 12 months
- lived in North Lincolnshire during the whole of the last 12 months.
You cannot stand as a Councillor if you:
- are employed by or hold a paid office in the council
- have been declared bankrupt
- have been convicted of a criminal offence and sentenced to more than three months imprisonment (including any suspended sentence) within the last five years
- have been disqualified from holding office by an election court
- have been disqualified following a decision of the Adjudication Panel for England.
You can either stand as an independent or a representative of a political party. If you want to represent a party you will first need to join one and ask them to select you as their candidate for your area.
If you are standing as a candidate for a registered political party you would also be required to submit a certificate, from the party’s nominating officer, authorising your candidacy and use of the party’s description and emblem.
How to get nominated
You will need to apply for a nomination pack. The packs are available from the council at the start of the formal election period. Each candidate must be nominated by a separate nomination paper and signed by ten registered electors of the ward in which you want to represent.
You must also give, in writing, your consent to your nomination.
No deposit is required to stand as a candidate.
To request a nomination pack please contact us.