Workplace and public safety

The council’s Food and Safety team deals with work-related health and safety, inspects work premises, investigates complaints and work-related accidents, and provides advice and information on health and safety.


If you are an employer, self-employed or in control of work premises, you have to report certain work related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences.

For more information or to report an accident, injury or dangerous occurrence visit the RIDDOR (Reporting of injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences regulations 1995) pages of the HSE website.


Asbestos is still present in many buildings, although its use is now illegal. Asbestos related diseases are still one of the biggest killers in the UK.

For advice and guidance on managing and working with asbestos, please visit the asbestos advice page on the HSE website.

If you are a member of the public and believe you may have asbestos in your home, advice can be found in our Asbestos in Domestic Premises leaflet [DOC, 80Kb] and on the asbestos FAQs page of the HSE website.

Control of substances hazardous to health

For advice and guidance on the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) see the COSHH pages of the HSE website.

For help carrying out a COSHH assessment for your business, visit the COSHH Essentials website.


Loud noise in the workplace can cause permanent hearing damage. Damage can include loss of hearing or ringing in the ears (tinnitus). More information on noise in the workplace can be found on the noise at work pages of the HSE website.

For other types of noise nuisance, for example, noisy neighbours, barking dogs and loud music, please visit our noise page.


You are not allowed to smoke in enclosed spaces, which includes pubs, clubs, taxis, garages, workshops, factories, cafes and restaurants.  Ignoring this law can lead to a fixed penalty. See our fixed penalty notices page for details of fines.

For more information, national guidance and downloads, please visit Smokefree England.

If you have a complaint about health and safety in a workplace within North Lincolnshire, please use our online form to report it.

Report a health and safety issue to North Lincolnshire Council

Alternatively, you can contact the Food and Safety team for information and advice.

To decide who you should refer your complaint to read the following lists.

Report to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

  • Factories
  • Farms
  • Building sites
  • Nuclear installations
  • Mines
  • Schools and colleges
  • Fairgrounds
  • Gas, electric and water systems
  • Hospitals and nursing homes
  • Central and local government premises
  • Offshore installations

Report to North Lincolnshire Council

  • Offices, except government offices
  • Shops
  • Hotels
  • Restaurants
  • Leisure premises
  • Nurseries and playgroups
  • Pubs and clubs
  • Museums (privately owned)
  • Places of worship
  • Sheltered accommodation
  • Care homes


To complain to the HSE please visit the  HSE website.

The HSE also provide good advice on workplace health and safety concerns, for example, how to raise concerns and trying to resolve issues and concerns.

Organising an event?

If you are planning an event in North Lincolnshire we recommend that you contact the North Lincolnshire Event Safety Advisory Group (ESAG).

The aim of the ESAG is to work together with core members of North Lincolnshire Council, Humberside Fire and Rescue, Humberside Police and East Midlands Ambulance Services to encourage high standards of public safety and wellbeing at events held within North Lincolnshire.

ESAG is an advisory service only. It is not an event organising service.

For events where there is a need to restrict or close a road, you should complete and return the Notification Form [PDF, 234KB] along with all the required information as soon as possible (with a minimum of six weeks before the event). This enables ESAG to assess your notification form and supporting documents, allowing time to communicate with you any concerns or recommendations.

For events where there is no need to restrict or close a road, you should complete and return the notification form, along with all the required information (at least three months before the event).

Failure to meet these timescales may prevent appropriate consultation.

Is your event on council land?

We must ensure that any event proposed to be held on council owned land has all appropriate safety measures and legal certification in place before permission is granted. Sometimes a licence will be required for you to use the land.

A list of some of the Council’s owned land and details on how to contact us and gain permission are below. Please allow us at least six week’s notice for your request to be dealt with.

Is your event on public roads or footpaths?

If your event is taking place on roads or footpaths within North Lincolnshire and you anticipate any of the following, then a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) will need completing 12 weeks prior to the event.

  • road closure
  • traffic diversion
  • footway Closure
  • on-street parking restrictions.

A TTRO can be completed using the form below and sent to network.management@northlincs.gov.uk

Requesting permission to use Council land for an event

If you are intending to hold an event on council land, please contact the Council via the Council’s Contact Centre on 01724 297000 so that your enquiry can be directed to the relevant Council department. They will consider your enquiry and you may need to make an application to gain the necessary permission. This may require you to tell us more about your event and your application would be assisted if you could attach a copy of the following;

  • A copy of your public liability insurance (minimum £5m) for the event and any similar insurance for any contractor who will be using the event site.
  • A Risk Assessment for the event.
  • A detailed site plan showing the exact location of the site to be used for the event.

Please allow at least 6 weeks to enable your application for permission to be processed which may require a licence to be arranged

Once permission and any licence that may be needed have been granted you can then submit the details for the event to the ESAG for their consideration using the event notification form link below.

Council land sites

Examples of the locations of Council owned land that may be available for use as event sites.
  • Central Park, Ashby Road, Scunthorpe
  • The Rock Store, Normanby Road, Scunthorpe
  • Ashby Ville Lake, Scunthorpe
  • Baysgarth Park, Barton upon Humber
  • Brigg Recreation Ground, Brigg
  • Bull Field, Manor Road, Bottesford
  • Carlton Street Car Park, Scunthorpe
  • Church Square and High Street, Scunthorpe
  • Everest Road Playing Field, Scunthorpe
  • Manor Park, Burringham Road, Scunthorpe
  • Normanby Hall and Country Park, Normanby
  • Quibell Park, Scunthorpe
  • Sheffield Park, Scunthorpe
  • Waters’ Edge Visitor Centre, Barton upon Humber
  • Coop Sports Ground, Brumby Wood Lane, Scunthorpe

What happens next?

Completed forms can be emailed or posted to us.

Once received, the information will be circulated to the ESAG members. Any advice or guidance received from the group members will be forwarded to you. If there are specific concerns, you may be asked to attend an ESAG meeting to discuss these matters. Meetings are scheduled throughout the year and you will be invited to attend on the next available date.

Once complete and submitted along with supporting documentation, we will endeavour to respond to your notification within 6 weeks.

There is a large amount of information available to assist event organisers on this page and in the Event Safety Guidance for organisers   [PDF, 98Kb].

Activity risk checklists

Please note these checklists are in a spreadsheet format and require Excel to open and function properly.


Events are considered on a case-by-case basis taking into account the nature of the event, current Government guidance and our local public health position. Should the local Covid-19 infection rate, hospitalisation, death rate or vaccine programme be of a concern, there may also be a need to reduce capacity, postpone or cancel the event at short notice. Similarly, if there are changes to the Government roadmap, or additional restrictions enacted, organisers should be
prepared to postpone or cancel their event at short notice.

Information regarding the roadmap and current guidelines can be found here: COVID-19 Response – Spring 2021 – GOV.UK

Until further notice, in addition to the fire and general risk assessment, we will also require a comprehensive risk assessment specific to Covid-19. We will only support an event whereby we are confident that an event is being held safely and legally. We will not consider any event that does not supply a suitable risk assessment.

The Tattoo Hygiene Rating Scheme (THRS) is a voluntary scheme aimed at improving standards of tattooists and allowing the public to choose a tattooist that meets high standards of hygiene.

The scheme aims to:

  • inform the public about the hygiene standards in the premises at the time of the most recent inspection;
  • drive up standards and adoption of best practice across the industry;
  • reduce the risk of incidents of infection and of transmission of infectious diseases from tattooing procedures; and
  • promote the use of reputable tattooists

Participation in the scheme is by application. Participating premises will be allocated a rating following an inspection. That rating can be displayed in the premises in certificate form and on the window of the premises in the form of a window sticker.

Premises will be rated into four categories:

1 – Needs improvement

2 – Satisfactory

3 – Good

4 – Very good

More detailed information on what is required to meet each category can be found in the THRS Rating Standards [PDF, 251Kb]

Apply for the THRS

You can apply for a premises rating online.

Premises under the scheme will be inspected annually. Premises will be expected to follow the  rules of the scheme [PDF, 242Kb].

Rated tattoo premises in North Lincolnshire

A comprehensive list of current Tattoo Hygiene Ratings for all premises participating in the scheme nationwide will be displayed on the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) Cymru Wales website.

Appeals process

If you feel your rating is wrong or unfair you can make an appeal using our online form.

Rating review

The operator of the premises may apply to be re-rated, but may not do so until three months after the THRS visit.

To apply to have your rating reviewed you must complete our online form:

The council is responsible for issuing safety certificates for sports grounds to ensure the safety of spectators.  The certificates confirm that the grounds comply with the Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975 and the Fire Safety and Safety of Places of Sports Act 1987.

Do I need a certificate?

Safety Certificates are needed for:

  • stadia with a capacity for 10,000 or more spectators
  • all premier and football league stadia
  • grounds with covered stands with a capacity for 500 or more spectators

You can apply online for a sports ground safety certificate here:

Apply for a Sports Ground Safety certificate