Independent Visitors Service

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

Independent Visitors are volunteers who spend time with a young person they have been matched with. They offer support and friendship which is independent of the professionals involved.

Independent Visitors in North Lincolnshire

  • Would you like to make a positive contribution to the life of a young person?
  • Are you looking to make a real difference?
  • Have you thought of becoming an Independent Visitor?

Independent Visitors are volunteers who build a positive adult-child relationship with a child or young person living in the care of the local authority. The young person may have little or no contact with adult members of their family and have asked for an adult volunteer to spend time with them, support them and befriend them.  As a volunteer you are different from many of the adults in their life as you are there just for them. You choose to spend time with them and stay with them regardless of any other changes in their life. Together you may do activities such as seeing the latest film at the cinema, playing football in the park or trying new things together. Equally you may just go for a coffee and have an opportunity to talk together. There is an allocation every month for activities and mileage.

Who can be an Independent Visitor?

Our children and young people come from a diverse range of backgrounds and so were looking for volunteers with an equally diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. You could be just the person one of our young people needs in their life.

  • You can apply via the application form below or contact independentvisitors@northlincs.gov.uk
  • Applications are welcome from anyone aged over 18 with a genuine interest in supporting children and young people – previous experience is not necessary. Full training will be provided
  • References will be required
  • Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) full disclosure will be required
  • You will be matched to a young person
  • You will only be matched to one person at a time

Independent Visitors Job Description [PDF, 183Kb]
Independent Visitor application form [DOC, 239Kb]

If you are a child or young person in the care of the local authority:

  • You can request an Independent Visitor for yourself through your social worker or self-refer by contacting the Independent Visitors Service on independentvisitors@northlincs.gov.uk
  • You will be asked to complete a referral form which gives details of yourself, and what you do and don’t like to do, so that an Independent Visitor that best matches your interests can be found.