An Independent Visitor is a volunteer who spends time with a child or young person who is in the care of the local authority. The young person may have little or no contact with adult members of their family and have asked for an adult volunteer to spend time with them, support them and befriend them.
Independent Visitors in North Lincolnshire
Independent Visitor volunteers:
- Build a positive adult-child relationship with one child or young person living in the care of the local authority.
- Are different from many of the other adults in a young person’s life as they are there just for them.
- Choose to spend time with a young person and stay in contact with them regardless of any other changes in a young person’s life.
- Spend time with a young person doing activities such as seeing the latest film at the cinema, playing football in the park, or trying something new together.
- Give a young person a chance to talk openly and honestly and ask for advice and guidance.
Who can be an Independent Visitor?
Our children and young people come from a diverse range of backgrounds and so were looking for volunteers with an equally diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. You could be just the person one of our young people needs in their life.
- You can apply via the application form below or contact email@example.com
- Applications are welcome from anyone aged over 18 with a genuine interest in supporting children and young people – previous experience is not necessary. Full training will be provided.
- References will be required.
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) full disclosure will be required.
- You will be matched to a young person.
- You will only be matched to one person at a time.
- There is an allocation every month for activities and mileage.
If you are a child or young person in the care of the local authority:
- You can request an Independent Visitor for yourself through your social worker or self-refer by contacting the Independent Visitors Service on firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will be asked to complete a referral form which gives details of yourself, and what you do and don’t like to do, so that an Independent Visitor that best matches your interests can be found.