Residents in North Lincolnshire are being encouraged to take extra care on the roads in the winter weather.
The drop in temperatures has seen the council’s fleet of gritters out in force. Since November 2020 more than 3,000 tones of salt has been used to treat 38,000 kilometres of roads, helping to keep residents safe.
Since 28 December alone, the winter service team have treated nine high priority routes 14 times with more than 1,000 tonnes of salt.
Major and important routes are given top priority for salting, which reducing the risk of ice forming. These include principal and main roads (those carrying at least 3,000 vehicles per day), routes to hospitals and other emergency service stations, as well as selected hills and bus routes.
You can find a map of the council’s gritting routes on our website.
People are advised to be prepared for all weather situations, to take extra care and follow the below tips for keeping safe
During bad weather, drivers should:
- Only travel if essential. Under national lockdown restrictions you must not leave or be outside of your home except where necessary.
- If you have to travel, give yourself extra time for the journey – don’t put pressure on yourself by rushing.
- If your journey is taking longer than you thought; don’t worry. It’s better to arrive late than not at all.
- Slow down and take extra care. It is your responsibility to drive to the prevailing road and weather conditions.
- If you get into trouble, especially in the snow, stay with your vehicle until help arrives.
- Make sure you and your vehicle are properly prepared: carry warm clothing and footwear; keep screen washer full and make sure windows are clean; check lights and keep them clean; ensure battery is fully charged; add anti-freeze to the radiator and check fluids; and check tyres for condition, correct pressure and tread depth.
- As well as roads, selected footways are also salted, following a similarly targeted approach. Efforts are concentrated on areas benefiting the most people, including shopping areas and routes to town centre car parks.
The council has been working with town and parish councils through the network of snow wardens, to ensure their local supplies of salt are replenished and in some locations, provided extra salt.
For more information on winter services and driving tips and answers to frequently asked questions, visit our website.