Wheels 2 Work North Lincolnshire
Wheels 2 Work North Lincolnshire is a scooter hire provision scheme to help people get over the problem of getting to work, college or training because of genuine transport difficulties. The scheme is open only to people who live in North Lincolnshire.
I don’t live in North Lincolnshire, how can I get hold of a scooter?
Wheels 2 Work North Lincolnshire is part of the Wheels 2 Work Association. If you live outside North Lincolnshire you can find out if there is a scheme near you by going to Wheels 2 Work. Just select the ‘Locations’ tab and click the coloured area where you live on the map to view the schemes available in your area.
What is the current availability of scooters?
|125cc Scooters||50cc Scooters|
What’s included in the scooter hire package?
Scooters can be hired for up to 18 months to give you the time to either save up and buy your own vehicle or find alternative travel arrangements.
Scooter hire comes with the following package:
- A new or used, fully taxed and serviced 50cc or 125cc scooter
- Vehicle road tax
- Comprehensive insurance (£350 excess applies)
- Breakdown cover
- Full servicing and maintenance
- A security lock
- Safety equipment (helmet, gloves and hi-vis vest)
From 1 December 2018 applicants can apply for a scooter with or without a Compulsory Basic Training Certificate (CBT). Different charges will apply, please see the table below.
What will a scooter cost me?
Scooters are available (stock permitting) in two sizes; 125cc and 50cc:
|Scooter size||Deposit||Monthly hire charge||Insurance excess|
|125cc||£90||£90 with CBT||£150 (per incident)|
|125cc||£90||£110 without CBT||£150 (per incident)|
|50cc||£80||£80 with CBT||£150 (per incident)|
|50cc||£80||£100 without CBT||£150 (per incident)|
Please be aware that if an applicant leaves the scheme before 6 months then they will be liable for any outstanding CBT charges.
Charges are collected by monthly direct debit.
What do the scooters look like?
The image above is an example of the scooters we hire. Designs may vary.
Eligibility for the scooter scheme
If you meet the following conditions we may be able to hire you a scooter:
- I am at least 16 years old
- I have a parent or guardian who will agree to act as guarantor if I’m under 18
- I live in North Lincolnshire
- I have either a full driving licence, motorcycle licence or provisional licence that displays my current address
- I am willing to complete and pass Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course, even if I have a full driving licence, motorcycle licence or provisional licence (if I haven’t already done so)
- I have either a firm offer of work, training or college placement, for at least 16 hours per week for a period of not less than two months, and I have no means of transport to get there
- I am already in work, training or college for at least 16 hours per week. For a period of not less than two months, but I am at serious risk of losing my job or placement because of transport difficulties
- I have no personal transport at present and there is no suitable public transport available for my journey. We recommend you check the availability of public transport on the Traveline website
- I have checked there is no one suitable to share a lift with for my journey. We recommend you complete a search by registering on the Travellincs website
- The distance of my journey is at least three miles from where I live and no more than 40 miles round trip (50cc scooter). 125cc scooters are for longer journeys
- I can fund the initial payment to cover the deposit, monthly instalments and insurance excess if the scooter is damaged or stolen. Refer to above charges
- I have space to secure a scooter at my home address and destination away from the public highway.
Alternatively, you can download and print the scooter application form [PDF,114Kb] and return it by post.
What is a CBT course?
Compulsory Basic Training or ‘CBT’ is a one day course which gives motorcycle training to a nationally recognised standard. You can find out more information at GOV.UK.
All applicants must complete and pass a CBT course before a scooter can be issued.
How long can I loan a scooter for?
Scooters can be hired for up to 12 months, although you can apply for an extension beyond this period if necessary.
Wheels 2 Work is not a permanent solution to your travel difficulties. We will review your travel circumstances during the hire period and encourage you to make your own future transport plans.
What happens if the scooter gets stolen or damaged?
The scooter is fully insured and paid for by the scheme. However the hirer is responsible for any loss or damage to the scooter up to the insurance excess maximum.
What should I do if I have an accident while riding the scooter?
If you or anyone else is injured, someone should call Emergency Services and let them know what has happened.
Depending on the circumstances, they may send the Police and/or medical services to your assistance. Someone will also need to inform the scheme coordinator.
What happens if the scooter breaks down?
The scheme provides 24 hour breakdown cover included in the hire cost – Terms apply.
How do I apply for a bicycle?
We no longer support a bicycle scheme and will refer you to the Credit Union.
Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm
Friday: 8.30am to 4.30pm
Closed Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays