Wheels 2 Work North Lincolnshire

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

Wheels 2 Work North Lincolnshire is a scooter hire provision scheme to help people get over the problem of getting to work, college or training because of genuine transport difficulties.

The scheme is open only to people who live in North Lincolnshire. If you don’t live in North Lincolnshire, search the internet to find a Wheels 2 Work scheme in your area.

What you need to know

What is the current availability of scooters?

  • 125cc scooters – one
  • 50cc scooter – five


What’s included in the scooter hire package?

Scooters can be hired for up to 18 months to give you the time to either save up and buy your own vehicle or find alternative travel arrangements.

Scooter hire comes with the following package:

  • A new or used, fully taxed and serviced 50cc or 125cc scooter
  • Vehicle road tax
  • Comprehensive insurance (£100 excess applies)
  • Breakdown cover
  • Full servicing and maintenance
  • A security lock
  • Safety equipment (helmet, gloves and hi-vis vest)


How much will a scooter cost me?

Scooters are available (stock permitting) in two sizes; 125cc and 50cc:


  • Deposit £90 (non refundable)
  • Monthly hire charge £90
  • Insurance excess £100 (per incident)


  • Deposit £80 (non refundable)
  • Monthly hire charge £80
  • Insurance excess £100 (per incident)


What is a CBT course?

Compulsory Basic Training or ‘CBT’ is a one day course which gives motorcycle training to a nationally recognised standard. If you are accepted onto the scheme, the CBT course is included as part of the package.

All applicants must complete and pass a CBT course before a scooter can be issued.

Please be aware that if an applicant leaves the scheme before two months then they will be liable for any outstanding CBT charges.

Please read our Wheels  2 Work – Terms and Conditions [PDF, 41Kb]

Eligibility for the scooter scheme

If you meet the following conditions we may be able to hire you a scooter:

  • I am at least 16 years old
  • I have a parent or guardian who will agree to act as guarantor if I’m under 18
  • I live in North Lincolnshire
  • I have either a full driving licence, motorcycle licence or provisional licence that displays my current address
  • I am willing to complete and pass Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course, even if I have a full driving licence, motorcycle licence or provisional licence (if I haven’t already done so)
  • I have either a firm offer of work, training or college placement, for at least 16 hours per week for a period of not less than two months, and I have no means of transport to get there


  • I am already in work, training or college for at least 16 hours per week. For a period of not less than two months, but I am at serious risk of losing my job or placement because of transport difficulties
  • I have no personal transport at present and there is no suitable public transport available for my journey. We recommend you check the availability of public transport on the Traveline East Midlands website
  • I have checked there is no one suitable to share a lift with for my journey. We recommend you complete a search by registering on the Liftshare website
  • The distance of my journey is at least three miles from where I live and no more than 40 miles round trip (50cc scooter). 125cc scooters are for longer journeys
  • I can fund the initial payment to cover the deposit, monthly instalments and insurance excess if the scooter is damaged or stolen. Refer to above charges
  • I have space to secure a scooter at my home address and destination away from the public highway.

Opening hours

Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm

Friday: 8.30am to 4.30pm

Closed Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays