The role of the Trading Standards team at North Lincolnshire Council is to safeguard the interests of consumers and the business community within our area.
We are always working to achieve a fair and safe trading environment and we do this by providing our service within the framework of our Trading Standards Service Standards [PDF, 59Kb].
Fraud and coronavirus
National Trading Standards are warning people to remain vigilant following a rise in coronavirus-related scams. Scams identified include doorstep crime, online scams, refund scams, counterfeit goods, telephone scams, donation scams and loan sharks.
Tips to avoid being scammed
- Be cautious and listen to your instincts. Don’t be afraid to hang up, bin it, delete it or shut the door
- Take your time; don’t be rushed
- If someone claims to represent a charity, ask them for ID. Be suspicious of requests for money up front. If someone attempts you into accepting a service they are unlikely to be genuine. Check with family and friends before accepting offers of helps if you are unsure
- If you are online, be aware of fake news and use trusted sources such as .gov.uk or NHS.uk websites. Make sure you type the addresses in and don’t click on links in emails
- Only purchase goods from legitimate retailers and take a moment to think before parting with money or personal information
- Know who you’re dealing with – if you need help, talk to someone you know or contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040
- Protect your financial information, especially from people you don’t know. Never give your bank card or PIN to a stranger
If you are concerned that you have been scammed, report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 and if you need advice, call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 0808 223 1133. If you are in immediate danger, contact the police on 999. Contact your bank if you think you have been scammed.
Trading standards advice for consumers
Consumer advice is provided by our partners at the Citizens Advice.
Trading standards advice for businesses
We will support and encourage businesses by providing business advice and information to help you get things right first time, so you are less likely to market goods and services that do not comply with trading standards laws.
We undertake a targeted inspection programme to create a ‘level playing field’ for you by ensuring compliance by businesses across North Lincolnshire.
We will take appropriate action against traders who fail to comply with Trading Standards legislation in accordance with our Operations Enforcement policy-2019-20 [PDF, 320Kb]
Our service deals with the following areas of trading standards law:
- Fair trading – the motor trade, counterfeiting and rogue traders
- Safety – product safety, underage sales and the storage of petrol and fireworks
- Primary production food and feed– including, labelling, composition and sampling
- Animal health– farmed animal health and welfare
- Metrology – weights and measures equipment in use for trade
- Trading standards business advice – register for business advice from the council’s Trading Standards team