About Trading Standards
The role of the Trading Standards team at North Lincolnshire Council is to safeguard the interests of consumers and the business community within our area.
We are always working to achieve a fair and safe trading environment and we do this by providing our service within the framework of our Trading Standards Service Standards [PDF, 59Kb].
Trading standards advice for consumers
Consumer advice is provided by our partners at the Citizens Advice.
Trading standards advice for businesses
We will support and encourage businesses by providing business advice and information to help you get things right first time, so you are less likely to market goods and services that do not comply with trading standards laws.
We undertake a targeted inspection programme to create a ‘level playing field’ for you by ensuring compliance by businesses across North Lincolnshire.
We will take appropriate action against traders who fail to comply with Trading Standards legislation in accordance with our Operations Enforcement policy-2019-20 [PDF, 320Kb]
Our service deals with the following areas of trading standards law:
- Fair trading – the motor trade, counterfeiting and rogue traders
- Safety – product safety, underage sales and the storage of petrol and fireworks
- Primary production food and feed– including, labelling, composition and sampling
- Animal health– farmed animal health and welfare
- Metrology – weights and measures equipment in use for trade
- Trading standards business advice – register for business advice from the council’s Trading Standards team