Information for refugees
Welcome to the UK and North Lincolnshire
North Lincolnshire is a great place to live, with friendly people and a strong sense of community, and we hope you will be happy here.
We know that moving to a new part of the world is tough, and that the process of settling in can be even tougher, as there is so much that is new to get used to.
Included in this information, you will find sections on:
- A general introduction to the UK, including the political system, what money is used and information about time zones and bank holidays – Life in the UK
- A general introduction to North Lincolnshire, including information about transport, waste and recycling and leisure facilities – Life in north Lincolnshire
- What refugee or Humanitarian Protection status means for you and your family – the Settling in
- Finding accommodation – Housing
- Employment: how to find a job and apply for support while you search – Working
- Accessing education – Education
- How to see a doctor and other healthcare needs – Healthcare
- What rights and responsibilities you have, what is legal and illegal, and how to get help from the police – the Law
- How to stay safe in your home and in your community – Personal safety
- Contact and directory information – useful numbers
We hope this information answers some of the questions you may have, and lets you know who you can contact to find out more, or to get help. But if you need any further information, call the North Lincolnshire Council Customer Contact Centre on 01724 297000, from Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm, and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm, and someone will be able to support and assist you.