Household Recycling Centres and permits

Find local Household Recycling Centres, what you can take and what items we charge for. Apply for a vehicle or large trailer permit, or a house clearance permit.

Our household recycling centres (council tips)

There are eight Household Recycling Centres (often referred to as the ‘council tip’) in North Lincolnshire where you can take household waste and recycling.

To find out what sort of waste can be taken to the sites, please click on each site or on the map below. Please separate your waste before coming along to the site so we can recycle as much as possible.

Larger vehicles and trailers may require a permit to be allowed on site – please check below to see if you need a permit.

The sites are for disposal only. Residents are unable to take items from the site. Items which may be suitable for re-use may be sold by the council through approved contracted companies.  This helps us to comply with the ‘waste hierarchy’.

Our sites are for household waste only. For commercial, trade or business waste, please see our commercial waste pages.

Winter opening hours (from 1 November)

All Household Recycling Centres will operate their winter opening hours from 1 November:

  • Cottage Beck Road, Scunthorpe – 8am to 4pm – seven days a week
  • All other sites – 10am to 4pm – Friday to Tuesday (closed Wednesdays and Thursdays)

All sites are closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

Further information

Asbestos is potentially dangerous and needs to be handled with care. Please read the guidance on how to handle and bag up your asbestos [PDF, 84Kb] before you handle asbestos.

We only accept asbestos at the Household Recycling Centre, Cottage Beck Road, Scunthorpe and you will need to request a bag to dispose of your asbestos.

Alternatively, you can call the Customer Contact Centre to order a bag.

Residents will be sent two bags (one red and one clear) to double bag their asbestos, a letter authorising them to dispose of the asbestos and a handling asbestos guidance sheet. These will be sent within two to five working days.

The following criteria must apply:

  • asbestos must have originated from your own property
  • it is bonded white asbestos (chrysotile). No blue (crocidolite), brown (amosite) or fibrous asbestos will be accepted under any circumstances
  • the maximum weight accepted per request is 20 kilograms
  • the total amount of asbestos to be disposed of must fit into the red bag and sealed,  then the red bag placed into the clear bag and sealed, resulting in double bagged waste
  • asbestos will only be accepted at the Household Recycling Centre, Cottage Beck Road, Scunthorpe during the following times:
    • from 1 March to 31 October: 10am to 4pm
    • from 1 November to 28 or 29 February: 10am to 2pm
  • you must report to a site attendant on arrival at the Household Recycling Centre during the asbestos disposal times. Any asbestos taken to the site outside of the disposal times will be refused
  • you must hand the letter of authorisation to the site attendant on arrival at the Household Recycling Centre, asbestos can only be deposited with this original letter
  • you must be able to handle the asbestos waste from your own vehicle into the designated skip as site attendants are not permitted to assist in moving asbestos waste
  • any split, torn, damaged or unsealed bags of asbestos will be refused and you will need to reapply
  • only correctly double bagged material in the bags provided by the council will be accepted
  • you are only permitted to make two deposits per year (1 April to 31 March), per household free of charge. There is a charge of £20 per extra set of bags for further deposits

Please note: permits are required for vans and commercial type vehicles and large trailers to access the site (see information below). This will need to be applied for in advance. No signwritten vehicles are allowed on site.

Ceramics, soil and rubble can be recycled at Barton, Belton, Kirton, Scunthorpe and Winterton Household Recycling Centres only. By law it cannot be disposed of in landfill, and it is not recognised as household waste, therefore there is a charge to dispose of this.

Plasterboard can only be recycled at Scunthorpe Household Recycling Centre.

By law it cannot be disposed of in landfill, and its not recognised as household waste, therefore there is a charge to dispose of this.

You can dispose of car and motorbike tyres at Belton, Barton, and Scunthorpe Household Recycling Centres.

As car and motorbike tyres are not recognised by law as household waste there is a charge to dispose of these.

Bicycle tyres and inner tubes can also be recycled along with car tyres. There is no charge to dispose of these.

We do not accept tractor or lorry tyres.

We cannot accept the following:

  • Explosive items such as fireworks, bird scarers, rockets, ammunition.
  • Infectious items such as some clinical waste. If unsure, please check with your doctor or health practitioner.
  • Industrial waste, for example, waste from premises used for the breeding, boarding or stabling of animals.

What is a house clearance permit?

We operate a house clearance permit system for our Household Recycling Centres. This allows residents to assist with family crisis (bereavements) or for urgent need (house moves).

Anyone can apply for a house clearance permit for an address within North Lincolnshire.

House clearance permit holders will be able to take a hire van onto the Household Recycling Centres. No other sign written vehicles (for example, owned by a private individual) will be allowed to apply for a permit.

The permit is only valid for the Household Recycling Centre site requested on the application form.

Terms and conditions

  • The permit is valid for two visits within a two week period.
  • House clearances are limited to two applications per North Lincolnshire household per financial year (1 April to 31 March).
  • Permits will be processed in five working days.
  • A copy of the hire agreement from the vehicle hire company must be shown to the site attendant along with the house clearance permit.
  • The permit is in the form of two vouchers. These should be handed to the site attendant on each visit.
  • Issue of the permit does not guarantee access to the site. Site attendants have the right to refuse access if they suspect that it is commercial waste.
  • If a site user breaches these conditions, we reserve the right to revoke the permit.
  • Please separate recyclable items and materials from your waste and place them in the correct containers on site in accordance with site signage and instructions from the site attendants.
  • Charges apply for disposal of plasterboard, soil, ceramics, hardcore, rubble and tyres

Applying for a vehicle or large trailer permit

If you are a North Lincolnshire resident and you have a commercial type vehicle or large trailer, you need to apply for a FREE permit to bring this vehicle to one of our Household Recycling Centres.

Household Recycling Centres are for the disposal of household waste only. It is illegal to dispose of commercial waste at these sites.

See below for more information about who needs a permit.

Hire vehicles may be eligible for a house clearance permit. Please check the list below before applying.

Lincolnshire County Council residents can apply for up to 12 visits per year. There is a charge for this. Please email wastemanagement@northlincs.gov.uk or call 01724 297000 for more details.

Do I need a permit?

  • Car – no permit required
    • Car and trailer
    • Smaller than 1.8 metres by 1.2 metres (6 feet by 4 feet), sides under 0.4 (16 inches) metres.
    • No permit required
  • Car and trailer
    • 1.8 metres by 1.2 metres (6 feet by 4 feet), sides 0.4 metres (16 inches) or over, and trailers with more than one axle
    • Permit required
  • Crew cab/pick-up
    • Two door (no weight restrictions)
    • Permit required
  • Crew cab/pick-up
    • Four door (no weight restrictions)
    • Permit required
  • Landrover style vehicle
    • With seats throughout (no weight restrictions)
    • No permit required
  • Van or flat bed truck
    • All types 3,000 kilograms and under
    • Permit required
  • Hired vehicles
    • House clearance permit required
  • Sign written vehicles
    • No permit granted (unless in possession of a house clearance permit)
  • Van or flat bed truck
    • With a revenue weight over 3,000 kilograms
    • No permit granted

Terms and conditions

It is an offence under the Environment Protection Act (1990) to dispose of waste illegally. Commercial waste, including recyclable materials, cannot be disposed of at any Household Recycling Centre in accordance with the environmental permit.

We monitor site usage and reserve the right to make further enquiries of the owner of the vehicle and at the premises from which the waste originated. Details may be passed on to the relevant enforcement officers.

Waste needs to be carried safely and vehicles bringing waste to the site should at all times comply with the Road Traffic Act (1988).

Permits are limited to one vehicle per household.

There is no charge for this permit.

Please note:

  • permits do not have an expiry date, you can continue to use them providing all information on the permit is correct
  • if you have a trailer permit and the towing vehicle is a van, you are only permitted to carry waste in either the van or the trailer, not in both
  • if you change your vehicle or move house, please complete a new application form and return your old permit
  • once processed, permits are posted to the registered keeper of the vehicle, unless we are awaiting further information

Lincolnshire County Council residents can apply for 12 visits per year at a cost for the Kirton in Lindsey and Barnetby sites. Please see our fees and charges page, email wastemanagement@northlincs.gov.uk or call 01724 297000 for more details