Commercial and schools waste and recycling services

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

Apply online for waste and recycling containers for schools and commercial premises. Details of commercial waste services such as bulky items and confidential waste.

We are required by law to collect recycled waste and general waste separately.

Where necessary and possible, glass, metals, paper, cardboard and plastic need to be collected separately and must be kept separate. The aim is to increase recycling and improving the quality of the materials collected.

Please read below for information about waste services we offer to schools, business, commercial and trade premises. For more details and current prices please contact us.

Bins in a variety of sizes are available to suit all your needs.

  • Charges are based on the size of the bin and the frequency of collections, with much reduced rates for recyclable materials
  • We can provide collections for recyclable waste (glass, paper, plastic bottles, cardboard, cans, aerosols and foil) from commercial premises.  Bins are collected fortnightly.

Please see the sizes we offer for recycling containers below:

Plastic, card and cans containers (red lid)

  • Capacity 240 litres
    • Width 0.58 metres
    • Height 1.1 metres
    • Depth 0.75 metres
  • Capacity 360 litres
    • Width 0.88 metres
    • Height 1.5 metres
    • Depth 0.65 metres
  • Capacity 660 litres
    • Width 1.35 metres
    • Height 1.2 metres
    • Depth 0.77 metres
  • Capacity 1,100 litres
    • Width 0.58 metres
    • Height 1.4 metres
    • Depth 1.09 metres
What can go in this type of bin?
  • Here’s our handy guide [PDF, 866Kb] that can be used to help understand what can go in this bin.


   Glass containers (green lid)

  • Capacity 240 litres
    • Width 0.58 metres
    • Height 1.1 metres
    • Depth 0.75 metres
   What can go in this type of bin?
  • Here’s our handy guide [684kb] that can be used to help understand what can go in this bin.


   Paper container (blue lid)

  • Capacity 240 litres
    • Width 0.58 metres
    • Height 1.1 metres
    • Depth 0.75 metres
What can go in this type of bin?

All bins and containers are on hire this is covered in your collection costs. If the container is lost, stolen or severely damaged, for example, by fire, you will have to pay for a replacement. Minor damage, such as broken lids, wheels or axles, will be repaired free of charge. For further details and current prices please contact us on 01724 297848.

What happens to our waste once collected?

Ever wondered where the waste and recycling you throw away goes?

Check out each material on our what happens next page.

There is a charge for this service. For further details, current prices, or to arrange a collection, please call our Commercial Waste Helpline.

Electrical items such as computer monitors, fridges and freezers are classed as hazardous waste and need to be disposed of separately. We are unable to collect these items.

There are certain responsibilities commercial businesses have when it comes to disposing of Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment (WEEE):

  • If you bought electrical equipment after 13 August 2005, then the producer of that equipment is responsible for its collection, treatment and recycling when you dispose of it.
  • If you bought the equipment before 13 August 2005, and do not replace it, then you are responsible for paying for and arranging treatment in accordance with the WEEE regulations and existing waste management legislation. This includes the Duty of Care and Hazardous Waste Regulations.
  • If you rent or lease equipment the producer is usually responsible for its disposal.
  • The regulations allow producers and business users to agree ‘alternative arrangements’, whereby the business user agrees to take on some or all of the future costs of the end-of-life treatment of the equipment they buy. This is a commercial decision that you will need to make and is likely to form part of the normal negotiating processes for supply contacts in the future.

Disposing of confidential waste in a paper recycling bin or with general waste is not secure.

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requires all businesses that hold personal information to have adequate security measures in place. All data should be properly protected at all stages during the process of destruction.

We can provide a confidential waste paper collection service, which guarantees that all the material is securely managed and recycled.

There is a choice of four different containers for the collection of office reports, old invoices, computer records, archived materials, and financial reports, for example.

  • Confidential waste sack
    Holds 15 to 20kgs
  • Lockable metal datasafe cabinet
    Holds 50kgs
    Width 1500mm
    Height 920mm
    Depth 450mm
  • Lockable plastic wheeled bin – 120L
    Holds 50 to 60kgs
    Width 460mm
    Height 960mm
    Depth 540mm
  • Lockable plastic wheeled bin – 240L
    Holds 100 to 120kgs
    Width 590mm
    Height 1050mm
    Depth 720mm

The waste will be handled by authorised staff. A certificate of destruction will be issued confirming the secure management of your confidential waste.

Collections are available every other Thursday. Collections can be made fortnightly, four weekly, every eight weeks or as necessary.

For further information and current prices please contact us.

We can provide clinical waste and sharps containers to businesses. There is a charge for this service.

Clinical sacks

Holds approximately 10kgs. Dimensions: 93cm x 72cm

Sharps container

2.5 litre in size.  Dimensions: 17x16cm 54cm circumference

Collections can be ad hoc, weekly or fortnightly.

For further information and current prices, or to set up a collection, please contact us using the details below.

We provide businesses, trade premises and schools with a collection service for fluorescent tubes and low energy light bulbs.

They are both classed as hazardous waste and need to be disposed of separately, and not mixed in with general waste.

In some circumstances Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE), including fluorescent tubes, can be returned to the place of sale. Please check with your supplier.

We will provide special containers for the tubes and bulbs. The materials recovered are sent for recycling.

All businesses produce waste and therefore have a legal responsibility to arrange for the safe disposal of this waste.

You have a legal responsibility to ensure that you store, transport and dispose of your commercial waste without harming the environment. This is called your duty of care. In most cases this involves arranging a contract with a registered waste carrier such as the council. For more information about our commercial waste and recycling services please contact us.

The duty of care is a law which says that you must take all reasonable steps to keep waste safe. If you give your waste to someone else, you must be sure they are authorised to take it, transport it, recycle and dispose of it safely.

Important facts about commercial waste disposal:

  • In January 2015 the law changed on how the council and other waste management companies are allowed to collect recyclable materials. Where necessary and possible, glass, metals, paper, cardboard and plastic need to be collected separately and kept separated. The aim is to increase recycling and improve the quality of the materials collected. The law requires that we must collect this separately from your general waste.
  • Waste disposal is not covered in your business rates and is therefore something that you need to pay for separately.
  • Disposal of commercial waste by burning, using your household waste and recycling bins or boxes, disposing of it through one of the established Household Recycling Centres or Community Recycling Centres are not legitimate options.

Please read the following documents for more information:

If you transport any waste as part of your business then you will need to register as a waste carrier. You can be fined up to £5,000 if you do not register.

If it is your own waste you are transporting (for example, to a trade bin or skip at your depot, or to another premise where you have a trade bin) then you will be a lower tier waste carrier. Registration is free.

If you are transporting waste from another company then you will need to register as an upper tier waste carrier. There is a charge to register for this.

For more information on Waste Carriers Licences and to register as a waste carrier please visit the waste carrier pages of the Government website.

To check whether a company that collects your waste is registered as a waste carrier visit the Environment Agency website. You should be give a waste transfer note when your waste is taken away. These are a legal document and must be kept for a minimum of two years.

The waste hierarchy ranks waste management options according to what is best for the environment. It gives top priority to preventing waste in the first place. When waste is created it gives priority to preparing it for reuse, then recycling, then recovery and last of all disposal (for example, landfill).

Therefore, you will need to take all such measures as are reasonable to apply the waste hierarchy to prevent waste, and to apply the hierarchy as a priority order when you transfer waste to another person.

Further waste hierarchy information on the Government website.

If you break these laws, you can be fined an unlimited amount.

We are encouraging businesses across North Lincolnshire to sign up to the Every Can Counts campaign. You will receive a free starter pack to help you to inform, engage and motivate people in your business to recycle their cans.

If you are interested in recycling your cans please contact us for your starter pack.


01724 297848

Waste Services Depot
Cottage Beck Road
North Lincolnshire
DN16 1TS