[ skip to content]

Subscribe to updates
Complaints about Councillors

Complaints about Councillors

If you wish to make a complaint against a named North Lincolnshire Council Councillor you can do so online.

Online Councillor complaints form

Complaints by email or in letter form will also be accepted.


  • Your complaint must be about conduct that occurred while the member(s) complained about were in office. Conduct of an individual before they were elected, co-opted or appointed to the authority, or after they have resigned or otherwise ceased to be a member, cannot be considered by the Monitoring Officer/Assessment Panel.
  • The current Code of Conduct came into effect on 1 July 2012. If your complaint concerns matters that occurred before that date you should contact the Monitoring Officer before making your complaint.
  • Your complaint must be about one or more named members of North Lincolnshire Council or any of the Parish or Town Councils within North Lincolnshire.
  • Your complaint must be that the member(s) has, or may have, breached their council's Code of Conduct. You may also contact the Monitoring Officer if you require further information.
  • Complaints about dissatisfaction with a decision or action of the authority or one of its committees, a service provided by the authority or the authority's procedures do not fall within the jurisdiction of the standards committee. Complaints about the actions of people employed by the authority also do not fall within the jurisdiction of the standards committee.
  • Your complaint must be in writing. If a disability prevents you from making your complaint in writing you may contact Democratic Services for assistance on 01724 296231 or email richard.mell@northlincs.gov.uk

It is important to note that not every complaint that falls within the jurisdiction of the standards committee will be referred for investigation or other action.

If your complaint relates to a member of North Lincolnshire Council an Assessment Panel of the Standards Committee must decide whether this is appropriate. If your complaint relates to a member of a Town and Parish Council who is not also a member of North Lincolnshire Council this decision will be made by the Monitoring Officer. In each case they will make this decision using assessment criteria.

If the Assessment Panel or the Monitoring Officer decide not to refer your complaint for investigation or other action we will give you the reasons for this decision.

Contact details


The Monitoring Officer
Will Bell
Assistant Director Legal and Democratic
Civic Centre
North Lincolnshire
DN16 1AB

Last updated: 22/02/2016