Worried about an adult

Find out what to do if you’re worried that an adult is being neglected or abused.

Reporting abuse to an adult

If you suspect someone is being abused or neglected, or if you need help yourself, please contact the Adult Protection Team on 01724 297000.

Professionals can also use our Safeguarding Concern form [Word, 71Kb].

You can also contact the Police:

  • 101 – Police non emergency
  • 999 – Police emergency

If you don’t want to contact us yourself, you can also report your concerns to a social worker, nurse, your GP or any other professional and ask them to make a referral for you. They will listen to you and act swiftly to make sure your enquiry is dealt with in the correct way.

Some people aren’t able to take care of themselves, and they may not be good at telling others that something is wrong.  This can leave them open to abuse.

What is abuse?

Safeguarding means protecting an adult’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. It is about people and organisations working together to prevent and stop both the risks of and experience of abuse.

Abuse can happen anywhere; for example, in someone’s own home, in a public place, in hospital, in a care home or in college. It can take place whether an adult lives alone or with others.

Anyone can witness or become aware of information suggesting that abuse and neglect is occurring.

People who require care and support must be able to trust and depend on the people they rely on for help. It is vital that professionals, other staff and members of the public are vigilant on behalf of those unable to protect themselves. No abuse is acceptable.

  • Physical abuse – such as hitting, pushing or slapping
  • Domestic abuse – such as psychological, sexual or physical
  • Psychological abuse – such as emotional abuse, humiliation or controlling behaviour
  • Sexual abuse – such as inappropriate touching, forcing someone to take part in any sexual act against their will
  • Financial / material abuse – such as misusing, withholding or taking someone’s money, moving into a person’s home without agreement or under duress
  • Modern slavery – forced labour and domestic servitude, human trafficking
  • Organisational abuse – such as ignoring or failing to provide access to medical treatment and needs
  • Discriminatory abuse – such as harassment and unequal treatment based on age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, sex or sexual orientation (known as ‘protected characteristics’ under the Equality Act 2010)
  • Neglect – such as not providing necessary food, care or medicine
  • Self-neglect – such as lack of self-care to an extent that it threatens personal health and safety

People who require care and support must be able to trust and depend on the people they rely on for help. No abuse is acceptable. Some abuse is a criminal offence and should be reported to the police as soon as possible.

Further information

For further information and to access relevant safeguarding forms and policies please go to the North Lincolnshire Safeguarding Adults Board webpages.