Funded early education for two year olds

Find out if you can get free childcare for your two year old.

Two year old funding

We are committed to promoting high standards of childcare that meet the needs of parents and children in North Lincolnshire.

Your child may be entitled to 15 hours a week funded childcare from the term following their second birthday. This will be for at least 38 weeks a year.

To find out if you are eligible visit the two year old funding criteria on Gov.UK.

You can apply during the term that your child turns two years of age by:

  • apply online below
  • visiting a local childcare provider or local children’s centre who will be able to complete an application on your behalf
  • calling the Family Information Service on 01724 297000

Further information

If you meet the criteria, your child can have their funded place the term following their second birthday:

If your child’s second birthday falls between:

  • 1 January to 31 March – they can have a funded place from the Easter term
  • 1 April to 31 August – they can have a funded place from the September term
  • 1 September to 31 December – they can have a funded place from the January term

Your child will continue to receive a funded place until they start school even if your circumstances change.

You should apply after the half term holiday of the term your child has their second birthday to allow sufficient time to process your application and find suitable childcare.

If you would like to search for childcare, please visit the Family Information Directory where you can search for suitable Ofsted registered providers or call the Family Information Service on 01724 297000 if you need assistance.

You can access a childcare place with any Ofsted registered childcare provider, which can either be:

  • a private nursery
  • pre-school or playgroup
  • a childminder, or
  • Althorpe and Keadby Primary School

Your child will be entitled to 15 hours funded childcare each week during school term time. Some childminders and childcare settings may be able to stretch the hours over school holidays so your child will attend for fewer hours over more weeks.

The funded place will provide a valuable experience for your child. They will be encouraged by a carer to learn through play. Your child will have fun in a safe and nurturing environment. It will help them to socialise and make friends.

Childcare is also good for families. It can give you a bit more time to spend with your younger children, take up a college course or go back to work. It will also give you ideas for things to do with your child at home. It will help them grow and learn.