To support parents with their children starting school in September, a pilot event, Let’s Get Ready for School, has been planned on Saturday 7 May.
Taking place at Crosby One Community Centre in Scunthorpe between 10.30am and 2.30pm, this event is targeted at families whose children will be attending Scunthorpe Church of England Primary School, Oasis Academy Henderson Avenue, Crosby Primary School, Saint Augustine Webster Catholic Voluntary Academy, Gunness and Burringham Church of England Primary School and Berkeley Primary School.
The aim of the event is to help prepare families for the transition to primary school (reception) to make sure they are ready.
Parents will be able to talk to a range of schools and services, including:
- North Lincolnshire Council Early Year’s Team
- North Lincolnshire Council Community Engagement and Family Learning (Imagination Library)
- North Lincolnshire Council Children’s Library Service
- Nurseries – Poppy fields/Daisy Chains
- School catering
- Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust’s (RDaSH) Health and Wellbeing 0-19 service
- RDaSH’s health visitors
- Children’s centres
- Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service
Services will be available to provide support, advice and guidance on helping prepare their child for school. There will be storytelling, songs, rhymes and crafts activities for the families to participate in during the event.
Free refreshments will be available and the first 350 families attending will receive a free goody bag including a copy of the book Starting School, donated by KCOM Community Grant.
If successful, the event will take place in other areas across North Lincolnshire.