To support parents with their children starting school in September, a Let’s Get Ready for School event is taking place on Saturday 9 July at Ashby Community Hub between 10am and 3pm.
This is following the success of the pilot event in May, which saw lots of families attending to get advice and tips.
The aim of the event is to help prepare children and families for the transition to primary school (reception).
Parents will be able to talk to a range of schools and services, including:
- North Lincolnshire Council Early Year’s Team
- North Lincolnshire Council Community Engagement and Family Learning (Imagination Library)
- North Lincolnshire Council Children’s Library Service
- School catering
- Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust’s (RDaSH) Health and Wellbeing 0-19 service
- RDaSH’s community nursery nurses and health visitors
- Children’s centres
Services will be available to provide support, advice, and guidance on helping prepare their child for school. There will be storytelling, songs, rhymes and crafts activities for the families to participate in during the event.
Free goody bags will be given out, including a copy of the book Starting School, donated by KCOM Community Grant.
The Let’s Get Ready for School event is part of this year’s Power of Words Festival. The Power of Words Festival is back for a fifth year to celebrate the importance of reading, books and words and have free events on offer across North Lincolnshire from 4 July.
Join award-winning illustrator Chris Mould in Brigg, enjoy interactive dinosaur-themed storytelling with Rashmi Sirdeshpande in Ashby, or join in a fun gadget workshop with Gadgeteers Lab at Baysgarth Hub. Bethany Walker will also be sharing her stories on 9 July at Ashby Hub during a free drop-in session. For the full list of events and to book your place, visit the family activities page.
Cllr Rob Waltham, leader of North Lincolnshire Council, said:
“We understand that the transition from nursery, childcare and pre-school to primary school can be daunting, not only for the children but parents as well. This event is aimed at those families who feel they would benefit from some top tips and support to help with the move to school. This will help ensure that children are ready for school and know what to expect.
“If your child is going to any of the schools in Scunthorpe South area, please pop along and see what advice you can get. The first event was a huge success, which is why it is being rolled out to other areas in North Lincolnshire.”
This event is targeted at families whose children will be attending:
- Bottesford Infant School
- Bushfield Road Infant School
- Enderby Road Infant School
- Frodingham Infant School
- Holme Valley Primary School
- Lincoln Gardens Primary School
- Oakfield Primary School
- Oasis Academy Parkwood
- Priory Lane Community School
- Saint Bernadette’s Catholic Voluntary Academy
- St Peter and St Paul CE Primary School
- The Grange Primary School
- Westcliffe Primary School
- Willoughby Road Primary Academy
- St Luke’s Primary Special School