North Lincolnshire Council has submitted a bid for £50,000 of Government cash to re-open and increase passenger train services along the Barton, Brigg and Gainsborough route.
The application to the Ideas Fund from the Department for Transport (DfT) Restoring Your Railway Programme is to fund a feasibility study into the benefits of improving the train services.
Currently the Brigg, Kirton and Gainsborough line only runs passenger services on Saturdays. The Barton line is hampered by a section which is freight only meaning passenger trains must take an indirect route.
No passenger trains currently run on a short spur of line between Ulceby Station and Brocklesby.
The bid has been submitted with support from North Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire Community Rail Partnership and with backing from the area’s MPs; Andrew Percy for Brigg and Goole, Holly Mumby-Croft for Scunthorpe and Martin Vickers for Cleethorpes.
Cllr Rob Waltham, Leader of North Lincolnshire Council, said:
“There is a real need for the train services between Barton, Brigg and Gainsborough to be improved as there is a gap in connectivity for these locations.
“Many of the villages nearby don’t have access to other forms of transport and an increase in rail services would provide that much-needed connection.
“We have been working with the area’s MPs and North Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire Community Rail Partnership to create a strong bid to the government highlighting the many economic benefits it would have for the area. The support from our MPs, Andrew, Holly and Martin, in backing this bid has been fantastic and we are grateful for it.
“This project will open up employment opportunities and support our visitor economy whilst also supporting ambitions for clean growth.”
Barry Coward, chair of the North Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire Community Rail Partnership, said:
“I am delighted that North Lincolnshire Council has developed our idea for providing a regular train service at Kirton in Lindsey and Brigg into an application to the government for funding a feasibility study.
“As the local Community Rail Partnership we will be pleased to work in partnership with the council on this project.”
The feasibility study would investigate the transport benefits of an increased passenger service of:
- Increased rail services connecting towns and villages
- Increased opportunities for leisure travel opening up tourist locations (e.g. Thornton Abbey) and supporting our growth ambitions for the visitor economy
- Increasing employment opportunities for local residents through increased travel to work options
- Increasing housing growth through increased transport options to housing growth areas
- Supporting the ambitions of TfN, Midlands Connect, Humber LEP and Greater Lincolnshire LEP around increased connectivity
- Supporting North Lincolnshire Council’s ambitions as set out in Council Plan, Economic Growth Plan, Local Plan to support economic growth, increased connectivity, safety and wellbeing
- Supporting local, regional and national ambitions for clean growth. Increasing use of public transport and reduced reliance on private car
- Meeting community needs and aspirations as clearly articulated by the Community Rail Partnership.
The fund will provide 75 per cent of costs up to £50,000 of successful proposals to help fund transport and economic studies and create a business case. The council would invest the remaining 25 per cent