Council Tax Scams
Beware of Council Tax refund scams. We may sometimes contact you by e-mail so that we can process a refund, but we will never ask you to click on a link to claim a Council Tax refund. If you are in doubt as to whether an e-mail is genuine, you can contact the Council Tax team on 0300 3030164.
Tips on how to keep your personal information safe:
- Never reply to an unsolicited text or email message.
- Never click on a link in a message unless you are absolutely sure where the link is taking you.
- Always use a link to a website you know to be correct, or use a search engine to find the correct website.
- Carefully read the message you have been sent. If the spelling or grammar isn’t correct, it is probably not genuine.
- Always check the message or webpage for accuracy. The information contained on the website in this case is clearly inaccurate as it is taken from a legitimate webpage relating to Income Tax refunds.
- Never provide your personal details to an unknown third party, in person, over the phone, or online.
News stories about Council Tax scams: