Change of circumstances – benefits

Find out how to let us know about any changes that may affect your council tax support.

What to do if your circumstances change

If you are claiming housing benefit or a council tax support, you should tell us as soon as possible if you, or anyone you live with, has any of the changes of circumstance listed below:

  • A change of address
  • Someone moving in with you
  • Income changes (including wages, pensions, benefits, maintenance)
  • Changes to savings and investments
  • Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance starting or stopping
  • A change from Jobseeker’s Allowance (contribution-based) to Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based)
  • A dependent child leaving full-time education
  • Rent changes (for housing benefit claims only)
  • Going abroad or being away from home for more than two weeks

You must tell us within one calendar month of a change happening, or you may lose some of your entitlement and we may pay you the wrong amount. If we pay you too much, you will have to pay this back.

How to report a change of circumstance

To tell us about changes in your circumstances use our online form:

Suspending payments

When a change has been reported that is likely to reduce the amount of entitlement, housing benefit payments will be suspended as soon as possible to avoid overpayment. Notice of the suspension will be sent to you and the landlord, if they are receiving the payments directly from us. Payments will begin again, if you are still entitled, as soon as the change in circumstance has been assessed and the new entitlement has been calculated.

You can ask us to suspend your housing benefit payments if you have had a change that you expect will lower your entitlement amount. This could stop us from overpaying you. To do this call the Benefit Team on 0300 3030164

If you are unsure what difference a change might make to your payments you can get an estimate using our online calculator.

You may be asked to complete the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support review form

You only need to complete this form when you have been requested to do so by the benefit team.


You can contact us Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.


0300 3030164 

Or write to:

North Lincolnshire Council
Church Square House
30-40 High Street
DN15 6NL