The Regulation of Investigatory Powers (RIPA) is an authorisation process that the council must comply with to secure the lawfulness of surveillance activities.
Surveillance activities include monitoring, observing or listening to people and their movements, conversations or other activities.
By complying with RIPA the public can feel confident that any surveillance the council carries out is done lawfully.
For further information see the council’s RIPA Policy [DOC, 445kb] and:
- Appendix A – Code of Practice Covert Surveillance [PDF, 860kb]
- Appendix B Internal Flowchart [DOC, 25kb]
- Appendix C – Code of Practice CHIS [PDF, 997kb]
- APPENDIX E – Magistrates Court Process [XML, 27kb]
- Appendix F Magistrates Court paperwork [PDF, 1Mb]
The council’s CCTV web page provides information about the recording of CCTV images.
For further information about RIPA please contact the council’s Legal Services Team by telephoning 01724 296211 or by writing to North Lincolnshire Council, Legal Services, Church Square House, 30-40 High Street, Scunthorpe, DN15 6NL.