Environmental Information Regulations

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

What are they?

The  Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) came into force in January 2005. They provide individuals and organisations with the right to request access to our recorded environmental information. The aim is to make us more open and accountable.

It covers all recorded information held at the time of the request, regardless of how old it is.

For more details please see our Access to Information Policy [PDF, 416Kb].


What information can I ask for?

You can request access to any environmental information held by the council.


What information is not covered?

General (non environmental information) and requests for personal information are not covered under the EIR.

Please see our Freedom of Information Act page for details of how to request general information and our Subject Access Request page for details of how to request personal information.


How do I request information and will there be a charge?

The EIR allow you to make your request either verbally or in writing and they also allow us to make a reasonable charge.  We prefer written requests as they allow us to understand exactly what information you require.

More details about making a request and any charges that could apply can be found in our Environmental Information Regulation Request Guidance Notes [PDF, 26Kb] and our Information Charging Policy [PDF, 514Kb].

Please check our online Publication Scheme and our Open Data page before making your EIR request as many popular requests are already included.

If you would still like to make a request please submit it using the following button:



Please note that the response to your Environmental Information Regulation Request may be delayed due to resources being diverted to deal with Public Health priorities.  We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we do remain committed to responding to your request, and will respond as soon as we are able.  Should our response to your request breach the statutory timeframe and you are unhappy with this you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.  You can contact them at:

If you didn’t find what you need then you can complete your EIR online.

Can I re-use the information?

Please see our Access to Information Policy [PDF, 416Kb] for more information about re-use.


If you require assistance to make your request:

If you need assistance in making your request in writing please call our Customer Contact Centre on  01724 297000.

Alternatively please contact the Information Governance Team via informationgovernanceteam@northlincs.gov.uk. or by writing to North Lincolnshire Council, Church Square House, 30-40 High Street, Scunthorpe, DN15 6NL.


What to do if you are not happy

We aim to comply with the Environmental Information Regulations by responding promptly and correctly. However, if you have an issue or would like to make a complaint, please see our Information Complaints page.

If you remain dissatisfied you also have the right to appeal to Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Helpline telephone: 0303 123 1113.