Salt bins or heaps
Salt heaps or yellow salt bins provide the public with a “self help” facility for the road at specific locations.
The bins are restocked as necessary throughout the winter.
Requests for salt bins or heaps are assessed using the following criteria:
- presence of hazards such as a hill, bend, problem junction, speed limit
- the proposed bin or heap is not already on a precautionary salting route
- other factors such as bus routes, local factors and availability of resources to spread the salt
- suitability of the site for a salt bin
- likely environmental impact
- restrictions on overall cost
You can use our online form to apply for a salt bin or heap.
or alternatively you can download and return a paper application form [PDF, 30Kb]. You are strongly advised to read the second page of the paper application form.
Often salt bins become the focus of vandalism or the meeting place for young people. If this becomes a nuisance, you can request that the bin is removed. Other residents in the area must agree before the facility is withdrawn.
Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm
Friday: 8.30am to 4pm