Dropped kerbs for vehicle access

Access requests (dropped kerbs)

If you don’t have a proper driveway with a dropped kerb to get your vehicle on to your property and would like one, you must apply to the council by completing the Application to open highway form [PDF, 1Mb].

This is to make sure the work is done properly and to the right standard.

You will get an estimate for the cost before you decide to go ahead, but you will have to pay before the work is done.

Existing properties

If you would like to apply to have a dropped crossing (or dropped kerb) to your property please contact our Highways team for more information.

You must get a NRSWA Accredited contractor to carry out the work, but the highway operations team must issue a licence first. Conditions do apply to the licence.

You will need to get planning permission for access from a classified road (that is an A or B class road, for example A18 or B1398).

If you live in a housing association property you will need to get permission from your landlord.

New properties or new developments

If your request is regarding an access to new properties or a development next to the highway please contact the Highway Development Services team for more information.


Customer Contact Centre:

01724 297000

Or write to

North Lincolnshire Council
8-9 Billet Lane
Normanby Enterprise Park
DN15 9YH

Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm

Friday: 8.30am to 4pm