Obstructions to roads and highway

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

It is an offence to obstruct free passage of the highway.

Obstructions are objects which have been put on or overhang the highway (this includes footpaths/pavements as well as the road itself). Obstructions can include:

  • builders skips;
  • scaffolding/hoardings;
  • builders materials;
  • temporary works including traffic lights;
  • overhanging tree branches, hedges;
  • mud and debris on the road;
  • mixing concrete/mortar on the highway;
  • unauthorised vendors/traders;
  • encroachment of highway boundaries;
  • discharge of water onto the highway;
  • blocking public rights of way;
  • plants and bushes;
  • illegal signs.

Encroachments are where someone has unlawfully assumed ownership of areas of the highway.

If a person deliberately obstructs the highway without lawful authority or excuse they are guilty of an offence. The council has legal powers to move the obstruction.

To report an obstruction to the highway please use our online form. This form can also be used to report other highway issues not listed above.

Parking on the highway

The police are the only people who can move vehicles on if they are causing an obstruction on the highway or are parked across an entrance to a property.