The Power of Words (POW), led by North Lincolnshire Council, puts words at the heart of communities across North Lincolnshire, enabled by an ambitious series of projects and events from artist workshops and live outdoor theatre to family days.
Power of Words
To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.
Celebrating the Intergenerational Rhyme Challenge 2019
In 2019 we launched an exciting intergenerational project using research from St Monica Trust (Channel 4 Old Peoples Home for 4 Year Olds). The research shows the benefits for the children and older generations on their wellbeing and communication skills when they have the opportunity to work together for a common purpose.
Please take time to read these heart warming case studies from some of the participating schools and residential homes. Watch out for the Intergenerational Rhyme Challenge in 2020!
- Bowmandale, Barton Hub and Beech House Intergenerational Rhyme Challenge [PDF, 1Kb]
- Little Acorns and Carseld Intergenerational Rhyme Challenge [PDF, 1Kb]
- Sunningdale and Oakfield Intergenerational Rhyme Challenge [PDF, 1Kb]
‘Great Rhymers Make Great Readers!’ There is lots of evidence which suggests that young children who know nursery rhymes are more likely to be better readers. This is why we are working with The BookTrust to promote and celebrate rhyming.
Learning rhymes together, especially when all the family get involved, helps children feel confident with words and good listeners. It will also help them as they being to learn to read.”
– Julia Donaldson, Waterstones Children’s Laureate 2012 – 2013
How you can get involved?
Listen to, join in and learn some nursery rhymes at home. You could ask you family members to join in – what nursery rhymes can they remember from when they were young? (ask grandma and granddad, they will love this!)
Contact your local children’s centre to see if they are holding a Great North Lincolnshire Rhyme Challenge.
Ask your child’s educational provider how they are getting involved with the Great North Lincolnshire Rhyme Time Challenge. We have given out packs to most of our local educational providers, so we know most of them will be joining in and holding family events.
Take the Rhyme Time Challenge quiz! [PDF, 405Kb]
- Five little monkeys jumping on the bed [PDF, 449Kb]
- A sailor went to sea [PDF, 642Kb]
- It’s raining, it’s pouring [PDF, 928Kb]
- Mary had a little lamb [PDF, 673Kb]
- Old MacDonald [PDF, 697Kb]
- Open shut them [PDF, 555Kb]
- Polly put the kettle on [PDF, 500Kb]
- Sing a song of sixpence [PDF, 551Kb]
- Star light star bright [PDF, 459Kb]
- The animal fair [PDF, 617Kb]