School meals in North Lincolnshire
Who do we provide meals to?
- We proudly provide over 10,000 freshly cooked meals each day in 77 schools across North Lincolnshire
- We cater for the council’s staff restaurant in the , the Learning and Development Centre, numerous council functions
- We also provide school meals to several schools outside North Lincolnshire
Do we supply good quality food?
The quality of the food we supply is extremely important to us:
- Many of our products are quality assured, carrying the Red Tractor mark, MsC mark or quality beef/pork mark
- Our eggs are sourced from East Riding of Yorkshire and are all free range
- We only purchase class 1 fruit and vegetables and all suppliers are rigorously checked before they can supply
- We use local suppliers for more than a third of our food buying, which can total over £0.5 million per year spent in the local economy
How healthy is the menu?
- We understand that a healthy school lunch can help children to achieve more
- We serve healthy nutritionally balanced meals, which are freshly prepared daily by our locally employed well-trained staff.
- By listening to our customers’ likes and dislikes we can serve meals that are not just healthy, but food they will enjoy
- New recipes don’t make it onto menus unless customers give their seal of approval
- We work closely with head teachers to help schools achieve their objectives and transform their pupil’s lunchtimes
- Menus offer a combination of both traditional and international meals, which are served with fresh vegetables, salads, fruit and home baked products
- Our meals meet the government’s standards on school food and are tailored to each school
We have rigorous standards with regard to food and ingredients. Our food ‘rules’ include:
- A no nut policy
- We do not knowingly make use of any products containing GM ingredients and seek assurances from our suppliers that the products they provide to us do not contain GM ingredients
- Restriction on food additives
- Minimal use of processed products
- No added salt to cooking
- Steaming of vegetables
- Special diets
Do you provide special diets?
If your child has a special dietary requirement, we can still provide them with a meal. We have a formal process for providing meals for children requiring medical diets such as celiac, diabetic or food intolerance.
If this is the case, your first point of contact would be the school’s headteacher, who will inform the school’s catering team.
Please contact Schools Catering for more information.
Schools Catering Team
North Lincolnshire Council
Church Square House