Reading Well for Children and Young People
You can now borrow from a collection of books which have been carefully chosen to offer support to children, and their carers and parents. The collection includes books on mental health and wellbeing, relationships, feelings, and specific difficulties.
The collection includes resources which are relevant to the particular experiences and needs of looked after and adopted children. It includes support and advice for children and young people who have experienced trauma, as well as a number of other mental health issues. The collection includes:
- Anxiety and mental health [PDF, 1.29KB]
- Emotional and behavioural difficulties [PDF, 678Kb]
- Families, relationships and self-esteem [PDF, 1.10Mb]
- Fostering and adoption [PDF, 911Kb]
- General parenting [PDF, 736Kb]
- Growing up and personal safety [PDF, 959Kb]
- Managing feelings [PDF, 1.10Mb]
- Mindfulness, meditation and yoga [PDF, 1.29Mb]
- Separation, loss and bereavement [PDF, 893Kb]
- Specific issues such as ASD and ADHD [PDF, 756Kb]
- Trauma and therapeutic parenting [PDF, 902Kb]
- Understanding and communication [PDF, 839Kb]
- Uplifting reads [PDF, 887Kb]
The main collection is based in the Children’s Library at Scunthorpe Central, with smaller collections in selected branches. All of the titles can be requested free of charge and sent to a North Lincolnshire library of your choice.
The national Reading Well scheme recommends a Shelf Help booklist for young people aged 13 to 18, offering advice about issues such as bullying and exams, as well as mental health conditions such as anxiety, stress and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). The titles have been chosen and endorsed by professionals.
Copies of the titles are available for loan from Scunthorpe Central and some of our branch libraries. Please check our online catalogue for availability.
Reading Well has developed a booklist [PDF, 237Kb] to help children get a deeper understanding of the effects of bullying and to start conversations on the topic. It includes six picture books, six suggestions for children in Key Stage 2 and six books for young people (13+).
Copies of the titles are available for loan from Scunthorpe Central and some of our branch libraries, and can be requested free of charge. Please check our online catalogue for availability.
Reading Well collections are also available as a deposit loan to organisations on request.
Advice and support can also be found on the website Life Central, which can help with issues such as bullying and exam stress.
Monday: 9am to 5pm
Tuesday: 9am to 5pm
Wednesday: 9am to 7pm
Thursday: 9am to 5pm
Friday: 9am to 5pm
Saturday: 9am to 4pm
Closed on bank holidays