North Lincolnshire Local Plan
The North Lincolnshire Local Plan was adopted in May 2003 and is used to make planning decisions. This plan is gradually being replaced by the Local Development Framework.
NOTE: Most of the policies included in the plan have been saved together with a number of supplementary planning guidance notes and development briefs. Please read the saved policies:
- Saved Policies Direction and List of Saved Policies (September 2007) [PDF, 35Kb]
- List of Deleted Policies (September 2007) [PDF, 27Kb]
- List of policies replaced by the Core Strategy (June 2011) [PDF, 906Kb]
- List of policies replaced by the Housing & Employment Land Allocations DPD [PDF, 72KB]
See the Local Plan Text section of this page for downloadable chapters in PDF format.
Due to the large size of the plan we have separated the text into its individual sections. They should be read alongside the saved policies direction [PDF, 34.7Kb] and the lists of deleted policies [PDF, 26.4Kb] orreplaced policies [PDF, 61.1Kb]as well as the Inset Maps and Proposals Map.
|Chapters and index of policies||142Kb|
|How to use this document||71.7Kb|
|Aims and objectives||170Kb|
|2||Population and housing||1199Kb|
|3||Industry and employment||557Kb|
|5||Shopping and town centres||405Kb|
|6||Mixed use development||191Kb|
|8||Leisure and recreation||320Kb|
|10||Landscape and conservation||920Kb|
|11||The ironstone gullets||188Kb|
|12||The historic environment||318Kb|
|16||Monitoring and review||147Kb|
|Glossary of terms||115Kb|
The chapters are provided as Portable Document Format [PDF] files. To view them you will require the appropriate software. An Adobe Acrobat reader can be downloaded free from the Adobe website (full instructions for downloading the reader are provided on the website).
The Local Development Framework – Housing and Employment Land Allocations DPD was adopted on 7 March 2016. The housing and employment allocations, town and district shopping centre boundaries and settlement development limits shown on the Local Plan inset maps have now been replaced. See below for details.
For these items, please use the proposals map and inset maps for the Housing and Employment Land Allocations DPD. These maps also show the saved policy notations from the Local Plan.
The Local Plan included a total of 96 inset maps covering every town, village, industrial estate and minerals site in the area. They show how the plan affects these areas.
They should be read alongside:
- The Local Plan Text
- Saved policies direction
- List of deleted policies
- List of policies replaced by the LDF Core Strategy DPD [PDF, 61.1Kb] and Housing and Employment Land Allocations DPD.
The settlement boundaries defined on the inset maps are no longer used for planning and development management purposes. Those defined on the inset maps from the adopted Housing and Employment Land Allocations DPD should be used instead.
Conservation areas can be appraised or altered. For the most up to date conservation areas please refer to our Conservation Area Appraisals section (below).
Inset maps and proposals map
The proposals map [PDF, 4.93Mb] is a general map covering the whole area. It shows where policies covering a large area will apply. This map is very large and may take sometime to download.
Please note: All documents are provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file and will therefore require a reader to view it. A reader can be downloaded free from the Adobe website (full instructions for doing this are provided on the website).
- Design Guidelines for Home Extensions [PDF, 147Kb]
- Design Guidelines for Industrial Development [PDF, 64Kb]
- Design in the Countryside [PDF, 52Kb]
- Public Rights of Way [PDF, 60Kb]
- Countryside Design Summary [PDF, 4.5Mb]
- Landscape Character Assessment & Guidelines [PDF, 5.6Mb]
- Appleby Village Design Statement [PDF, 7Mb]
- Scawby Village Design Statement [PDF, 6Mb]
- Developer Contributions to Schools [PDF, 314Kb]
- The Provision of Open Space in New Housing Developments [PDF, 118Kb]
- Trees and Development [PDF, 591Kb]
- Wind Energy Development [PDF, 3Mb]
To help deliver several major development sites in the area, we have produced a number of development briefs.
These set out the key issues affecting the sites. They provide suggestions about how they can be overcome.
Brigg North Development Brief
- Brigg North Development Brief [PDF. 1.4Mb]
- Brigg North Site [PDF, 237Kb]
- Local Plan Map [PDF, 720Kb]
- Site Survey [PDF, 383Kb]
- Ownership [PDF, 240Kb]
- Proposals Map [PDF, 446Kb]
Falkland Way Development Brief, Barton upon Humber
- Falkland Way – development brief [PDF, 541Kb]
North of Doncaster Road, Scunthorpe
- Land North of Doncaster Road [PDF, 3.6Mb]
The Interim Affordable Housing Policy is available to download as a PDF:
We have an interim planning policy that is designed to ensure developer contributions towards transport infrastructure on the South Humber Gateway is secured.
North Lincolnshire Council is preparing a new single Local Plan for North Lincolnshire. Once agreed (formally adopted), it will replace the current North Lincolnshire Local Plan, the Core Strategy and the Housing and Employment Land Allocations Development Plan Documents (DPDs).