Conservation areas in North Lincolnshire

For general guidance visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) information, advice and guidance.

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

Conservation areas in North Lincolnshire

There are 17 conservation areas within the towns and villages of North Lincolnshire.  Because of their special character and quality, they have been ‘designated’ by the council under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. This means that their special character can be safeguarded and enhanced.

A number of special controls and requirements apply in conservation areas. This does not mean that there will be no new developments or alterations to existing buildings. However, the council has a duty to ensure that all changes either enhance the attractiveness of these areas, or do no harm to their special qualities.

If you are thinking about making alterations to a property or demolishing a building in a conservation area please contact the development control team. A planning officer will advise you if consent is required.

Where are the conservation areas?

You can view the 17 conservation areas under the Environment section on our interactive map.

Living in a conservation area

Planning applications are needed for some types of development that may not normally need permission. These include:

  • Larger house or industrial extensions
  • Dormer windows
  • Cladding external walls of a house
  • Satellite dishes facing a highway
  • Illuminated advertisements

Nine of our conservation areas have further controls in place. These are termed Article 4 directions.  Permission may be required for minor works to dwellings, including:

  • Outside alterations such as new windows or door.
  • Re-roofing or alterations to the chimneys ridge, tiles etc.
  • Porches.
  • Covering gardens in tarmac or concrete.
  • Removing garden walls.
  • Creation of car parking space.
  • Putting up gates fences or walls.
  • Covering walls by rendering or painting the brick work.


You will need permission from the council to demolish buildings and other structures. Generally this will be refused unless it would improve the appearance of the conservation area.


By law, if you want to prune or fell a tree in a conservation you must complete an application form at least six weeks before to notify the council of your intended works, unless the tree is less than 7.5cms in diameter at 1.5 metres above ground level. Application forms and more information can be found on our tree preservation orders and trees in conservation areas page.

Please be aware that our team is scheduled to move to Church Square House, Scunthorpe, on 8 February 2019. Please check beforehand to save any unnecessary journeys.

Duty Officer hours are now appointment only, 9am and 12.30pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays only.

Please call the Contact Centre to arrange an appointment.

01724 297000