Bonfires and waste disposal

For general guidance visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) information, advice and guidance.

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

Information about bonfires and waste disposal

We can only take action against someone who causes a smoke nuisance by having regular bonfires. First try talking to your neighbours so they understand how their bonfire is affecting you.

If your neighbours are having regular bonfires which are affecting you, you can make a complaint by downloading diary sheets. The diary sheets allow you to make a record of how often the smoke is happening and how it affects you. Without the completed diary sheet, we cannot investigate the smoke nuisance complained of.

You can return your completed diary sheets to Church Square House in Scunthorpe, or email them to us at environmental.health@northlincs.gov.uk.

If you are concerned about a dangerous bonfire, please contact Humberside Fire by calling 999.

Guidelines for garden bonfires:

If you have garden waste to dispose of, it is better to compost it, either in a home composter or by putting it in your brown bin for collection. You can also take garden waste to a council household recycling centre.

If a bonfire is the best practicable option for disposing of garden waste, follow these guidelines from Environmental Protection UK to avoid causing a nuisance:

  • Warn your neighbours beforehand
  • Do not light a bonfire if your neighbours are in the garden, have their washing out, or have their windows open
  • Only burn dry material
  • Never burn household rubbish, rubber tyres, or anything containing plastic, foam or paint
  • Never use old engine oil, meths or petrol to light the fire
  • Avoid lighting a fire in unsuitable weather conditions; smoke hangs in the air on damp, still days and in the evening
  • If it is windy, smoke may be blown into neighbouring gardens and across roads
  • Avoid burning when air pollution in you area is high or very high
  • Never leave a fire unattended and have plenty of water available to put the fire out if you need to

The burning of trade waste is an offence. All businesses have a duty of care regarding their waste and must ensure it is properly managed and have suitable arrangements in place for its storage, collection, transportation and final disposal.

Causing dark smoke from burning waste at a trade, industrial or business premises is an offence under the Clean Air Act 1993. Furthermore, any bonfire could constitute a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 in relation to smoke, fumes and dust, for example.

We have produced Bonfires and the law: a guide for business explaining the legislation in further detail.

We offer a range of commercial waste services to businesses.

In most cases it is illegal to burn cereal straw and stubble and the residues of oilseed rape, peas and beans in the field.

For further information please read our crop burning leaflet.

Whether you are a private householder or a business you have a duty in law to ensure that you only dispose of your waste via a permitted waste carrier to a permitted site, such as North Lincolnshire Council wheeled bins, household recycling centre or trade waste service.

If you do not do this you may be committing an offence.

You can check if the person collecting your waste has a permit from the Environment Agency.