Commons and village greens

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

As the Commons Registration Authority for North Lincolnshire, we are responsible for maintaining and updating the register of commons and greens for the area.

A register of all commons and greens in North Lincolnshire [PDF, 7Kb] is available to download.

What is a town or village green?

Greens are areas of land which local people can go on to for the exercise of lawful sports or pastimes. Typically these might include organised games, picnics, fetes, dog walking, nature watching, and similar activities.

To register a new village green, you must prove that;

  • The land is mainly used by ‘inhabitants of the locality’
  • It is used for ‘lawful sports or pastimes’
  • It has been used without the permission of the landowner, but without force or secrecy
  • That is has been used as such for at least 20 years

The application must be made using ‘Form 44’ [PDF, 35Kb] – you can also find this on the Defra website

Current notices

What is common land?

Common land is usually in private ownership, that has rights of common over it.

There are generally six recognised rights of common:

  • Grazing sheep of cattle (herbage)
  • Taking peat or turf (turbary)
  • Taking wood, gorse or furze (estovers)
  • Taking of fish (piscary)
  • Eating of acorns or beechmast by pigs (pannage)
  • The right to take sand, gravel, stone and minerals (common in the soil)

Members of the public now have a right of access on foot to nearly all registered common land areas, but not those in private gardens. This access on foot is in addition to any public rights of way. More information is available from the Open Access website, administered by Natural England.

Public Rights of Way team


Customer Contact Centre

01724 297000

Monday to Friday: 9am to 4pm