If physical activity was a pill, it would be one of the most cost-effective drugs ever invented. It is the miracle cure we’ve always had, but for too long we’ve neglected to take our recommended dose. Our health is now suffering as a consequence.
Health benefits of getting active and keeping fit
Evidence shows that people who do the recommended amount of physical activity (150 minutes per week) have a lower risk of many chronic diseases, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke and some cancers.
Physical activity can also boost self-esteem, mood, sleep quality and energy, as well as reducing your risk of stress, depression, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
The good news is that as soon as you begin regular physical activity you’ll start to feel the benefits of a healthier lifestyle!
In North Lincolnshire and across the country, the aspiration is to get everybody to undertake a minimum of 150 minutes moderate intensity physical activity each week to help keep fit. The 150 minutes don’t have to be done in one go, doing 10 minutes at a time is enough to start getting the benefits.
Moderate intensity activity means you’re working hard enough to raise your heart rate and break a sweat. One way to tell if you’re working at a moderate intensity is if you can still talk but you can’t sing the words to a song.
Examples of moderate intensity activities are:
- brisk walking
- water aerobics
- gardening or pushing a lawn mower
- cycling on level ground
- active games with the kids
Getting more active in North Lincolnshire
North Lincolnshire has lots of great opportunities for you to take part in physical activity. Some sessions, groups or clubs are FREE or at a reduced cost, and many are based in the heart of our local communities enabling physical activity to be more accessible than ever before!
With various types of physical activity to choose from locally, there will be something for everyone regardless of age, fitness level or interest.
- Leisure centres- Across five sites, providing a range of exercise, fitness and sports activities for adults and children
- Walking the Way to Health- Free and supportive group walks taking place across North Lincolnshire led by trained volunteers
- Community sports and physical activity – A range of opportunities across North Lincolnshire from Park Run to yoga, cycling to dancing, football to aerobics
- Street Sport- An initiative in North Lincolnshire for young people, where mobile sports leaders bring street sport directly into communities
- Other leisure activities- for finding local clubs and societies, local parks and playgrounds, outdoor facilities, allotments and activities for children and young people