Physical disabilities

For general guidance visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) information, advice and guidance.

To follow any changes to this service, visit the Council Service Updates page.

Adult Services are able to provide support or advice for people with a physical disability or sensory impairment. If you would like to find out more please contact:

Access Team on 01724 297000.

This service is able to put you in touch with voluntary organisations that may be able to assist you, and is also able to advise you about who to contact for financial assistance.

The Complex Disability Team

We are a team of social care staff, including qualified Social Workers, currently based at Brumby Centre.

What do we do?

We provide an assessment and care and support planning service for adults who live with a learning and/or physical disability. This includes adults who live with a sensory impairment.

We also support young people from 14 -18 who are preparing for and entering into adulthood, who have additional needs and are eligible for support from Adult and Community Wellbeing. We work closely with education, health and children’s service to make this transition from school or college as smooth as possible.

How can I be referred or make contact?

If you are an adult living with a learning, physical or sensory disability you can be referred to the team for advice, information and support. You could also be a young person preparing for adulthood. It may be you, your family or someone you know, for example your teacher or doctor (GP). If you do not have a named worker to support you with this referral please contact Adult and Community Wellbeing Access team on 01724 298000.

Someone from Adult and Community Wellbeing will contact you to discuss your request. This will be over the telephone or at your home or somewhere else, like work, college or our office.  We will always provide information, support and advice to access further services, including how to get support.

What we can help you with?

  • Information, advice and signposting to other support
  • Assessment and reviews – know your needs and achieve your planned outcomes
  • Relationships and lifestyle
  • Crisis Intervention and safeguarding adults
  • Support with specialist housing needs
  • Community access
  • Low level equipment for sensory impairment
  • Disability registration

The Occupational Therapy (OT) service is operated by Northern Lincolnshire and Goole (NLaG) NHS Foundation Trust.

The Occupational Therapists are based in three locality teams across North Lincolnshire.

You may be referred to OT services by your GP, Social Services, your carer, a District Nurse or the hospital. If you feel that you would benefit from Occupational Therapy you can also contact OT services yourself. Please call the locality team for your area:

If you are not sure which locality covers your address don’t worry, the locality teams can redirect you to the correct number if you have called a different area.

We run shopmobility schemes in Ashby and Scunthorpe. Anyone with a mobility problem can hire wheelchairs or motorised scooters for free.

More information is available on our shopmobility page.

If you have a disability or sensory impairment and have trouble carrying out day to day tasks then you may be able to get specialised equipment to help you.

Specialised equipment can help with a range of daily duties such as:

  • Dressing
  • Going to the toilet
  • Eating and drinking
  • Bathing
  • Walking

For more information on the equipment that is available to you please contact the local Occupational Therapy Service for your area:

If you are not sure which locality covers your address, don’t worry, the locality teams can redirect you to the correct number if you have called a different area.

Alternatively you could visit the equipment clinic which is held every day at the Ironstone Centre on West Street in Scunthorpe. Appointments are needed and can be made through the Occupational Therapy Service. You can come along to the clinic for advice, assessment and provision of equipment.