Funded early education for two year olds

We are committed to promoting high standards of childcare that meet the needs of parents and children in North Lincolnshire.

Your child may be entitled to 15 hours a week funded childcare from the term following their second birthday. This will be for at least 38 weeks a year.

Two year olds who live in North Lincolnshire and meet any one of the following criteria will be eligible for a funded place:

  • Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit and have an annual household income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
  • income support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • support through Part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit or
  • the Working Tax Credit four-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Universal Credit (subject to consultation)

Or if they:

  • have a current statement of special educational needs (SEN) or an education, health and care plan
  • attract Disability Living Allowance
  • are looked after by their local authority
  • have left care through special guardianship or through an adoption or child arrangements order
  • are children of Zambrano Carers
  • are children of families with no recourse to public funds with a right to remain in the UK on grounds of private/family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights;
  • are children of a subset of failed asylum seekers (supported under section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 – ‘the 1999 Act’)

Your child will be entitled to 15 hours funded childcare each week during school term time.

Some childminders and childcare settings may be able to stretch the hours over school holidays so your child will attend for fewer hours over more weeks.

If you meet the criteria, your child can have their funded place the term following their second birthday:

If your child’s second birthday falls between When they can have a funded place
1 January to 31 March From the Easter term
1 April to 31 August From the September term
1 September to 31 December From the January term

Your child will continue to receive a funded place until they start school even if your circumstances change.

You should apply as early as possible during the term your child has their second birthday to allow sufficient time to process your application and find suitable childcare.

If you would like to search for childcare, please visit the Family Information Directory website where you can search for suitable Ofsted registered providers or call the Family Information Service if you need assistance. Tel: 01724 296629. Further information also available on the Family Information Service  website.

The funded place will provide a valuable experience for your child. They will be encouraged by a carer to learn through play. Your child will have fun in a safe and nurturing environment. It will help them to socialise and make friends.

Childcare is also good for families. It can enable you to work or find work. It can give you a bit more time to spend with your younger children, visit your local children’s centre, take up a college course or go back to work. It will also give you ideas for things to do with your child at home. It will help them grow and learn.

You can apply during the term that your child turns two years of age by:

  • applying online
  • visiting a local childcare provider who will be able to complete an application on your behalf
  • calling the Childcare Sufficiency Team on 01724 298298

Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm

Friday: 9am to 4.30pm

01724 296629

You can also text our service:
SMS: 07624809248 Text ‘advice’ and we will ring you back during office hours. Our text is free to use. Your normal network charge for texts will apply.