Special Guardianship Orders – Support
We are committed to providing a range of support services. A request for a post order support assessment can be made to the Adoption and Fostering Service.
The local authority that places a child, is responsible for the assessment and provision of any support services for the first three years after the Special Guardianship Order (SGO) has been made. After this time, the local authority where the special guardians live will take over control and be responsible for assessing and providing their support needs.
If the child was not looked after at the time the Special Guardianship Order was made then any requests for support need to be made straight away to the local authority that the special guardians are currently living in.
We provide a range of support services including:
- A letterbox service and mediation for the exchange of information between children (with special guardians) and birth family members
- Mediating, facilitating and supervising direct contact arrangements
- Services to support family relationships
- Assessments for support services including financial support
- A support group for special guardians by way of regular coffee mornings
- Training workshops
- Close links with the local Children’s and Adolescent Mental Health Service
Where required, we can also provide individual social work support to families through a social worker.
Please contact us directly for a copy of the Support Leaflet, which provides an overview of the services that are provided locally. We will also give you a copy of the training guide that details the training being offered over the next year.
We all need a little support sometimes, so please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to help.
- Guide to Special Guardianship Orders [PDF, 773Kb]
- Information about Special Guardianship for a Parent [PDF, 661Kb]
- SGO Guide for Young People [PDF, 542Kb]
- Post Order Support Guide for Young People [PDF, 904Kb]
- SGO Guide for Children [PDF, 939Kb]
Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm
Friday: 9am to 4.30pm