On 1 May 2015 the Adoption Support Fund (ASF) became available to adopters throughout England. It brings more than £19 million extra funding on line to support families.
You can learn more about the ASF by contacting your local Adoption Service. You can contact North Lincolnshire Adoption Service on 01724 297024. Please ask to speak to the Adoption Duty Worker.
Useful information about the fund
Who is eligible?
The ASF is available to all children adopted from care and not just newly adopted children.
The ASF will pay for post-adoption-order support for children adopted from care in England, or living in England having moved from care in Wales up to age 18 (25 with a SEND statement).
It won’t (as with several other elements of adoption support) be applicable to inter-country adoptions or non-agency adoptions.
Local Authorities, independent providers (Ofsted registered) and NHS providers (offering services within the scope of the ASF) can all provide services through the ASF. Provision is to be delivered in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland only.
- If you want to access the fund then you will need to approach your local authority for an assessment of adoption support needs.
- The local authority that places the child with you is responsible for assessing your adoption support needs for three years after the adoption. After that, it becomes the responsibility of the local authority where you live.
- Local authorities will be able to submit applications for funding before an Adoption Order, so adopters can receive a continuous package of support following the Adoption Order being made.
- The local authority considers if therapeutic support is needed, the type required and if it is eligible for payments from the fund.
- The adopter and the local authority will look at the support that is available.
- The local authority applies directly to the Adoption Support Fund on behalf of the adopter. Adopters cannot apply directly to the fund themselves.
- The Adoption Support Fund approves the funding and the funds are transferred to the local authority.
What sort of support will the ASF pay for?
The fund will pay for therapeutic services that are not currently provided. These include therapeutic parenting courses and Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy among others. You can find out more about which service the Adoption Support Fund will consider on our Adoption Support page.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Adoption Team on 01724 297024. They will be happy to answer any questions you have.
If a post adoption support assessment has been completed and you are unhappy with the outcome, then you can contact the Adoption Service Manager on 01724 297024. The Adoption Service Manager will also make sure you have the details of the Adoption Support Services Advisor (ASSA) who will also consider any issues you wish to raise. Alternatively, you can make a complaint by going through the complaints process.